• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Cannot remove HIDDEN attribute from external hard drive

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

oldgeek

Aug 25, 2021
I am having a problem trying to remove a 'hidden' attribute from an external disk. It does not have a switch to prevent it being written to, nor is there any way that Diskpart seems to be able to remove it. Tried using similar approach under DOS or CMD but no joy. So, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps Powershell may be the only way however, I am hopeless with that. Does anyone have an idea how to remove this attribute from the recalcitrant damn thing. The reason I need to remove this attribute is that the disk refuses to appear on the drive list because it has this hidden attribute.

Oldgeek

Two ideas come to mind. I have never had a condition that EaseUS partition master couldn't fix. Other than that Medicat DVD has many disk routines in a non-Windows environment. Between those two solutions barring any mechanical lock outs should cure the problem.
If you are looking for a down and dirty do a search for DBAN (Derrick's Nuke and Boot) that should do the trick as well.

Two ideas come to mind. I have never had a condition that EaseUS partition master couldn't fix. Other than that Medicat DVD has many disk routines in a non-Windows environment. Between those two solutions barring any mechanical lock outs should cure the problem.
If you are looking for a down and dirty do a search for DBAN (Derrick's Nuke and Boot) that should do the trick as well.
OK Thanks for that, I forgot about Easus for a start and if that doesn't work I will have a look, at the others. Will let you know and once again, Thank you.

Oldgeek

Well DVDR_Dog, I appreciate your advice however, I either have a permanantly hidden disk or some software I have used in the past has done this. To clarify the situation. I have an external disk which is now about 3 months old, bought new and is 1TB is size. It's used to backup the boot drive. The drive is SSD and is in a closed and sealed box (I mean well sealed like in almost one unit) with no reset holes or anything like that to possibly set the attribute.

The disk was fine up until about 2 weeks ago when i suddenly disappeared off the system so I remounted it with the same drive letter with Diskpart and it went well, next day it had disappeared. SO I checked the disk with the usual command in Diskpart and noticed it had the "HIDDEN" attribute under the Info column (Volume 5). I tried the usual methods with Diskpart but nothing. Now I have tried all the items you suggested and still, I cannot remove the attribute. I even removed the disk and remounted it. I wiped it clean using DBAN just in case. Still nothing. The only thing I haven't used is powershell mainly because I know little about the commands in that. So, for the time being I am having to constantly rename the disk so the system "sees" it.

Unless anyone has an idea other than Powershell, then probably a new disk may have to be the option and just keep that as a spare "in case" option. Oh BTW I always use a sandbox when installing alternative software.

Thanks for the previous help

Oldgeek
disk_volumes.png

Back