• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Cleaning Up The Store Bought Systems

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
With the weather getting cooler, I have some more time to spend with projects. I settled for Phobya liquid metal thermal paste. I am old school and I know how to keep things neat, a must with the conductive paste.
If you ever removed a stock cooler, you know what I mean. It's usually a big glob of paste on the cpu + gpu if so equipped.
Here's a tip when reseating a cooler. That cooler paste will never conduct heat as well as the metal part of the cooler/heat sink. Thermal paste is supposed to fill the irregular areas of the cpu and cooler that do not mesh with each other. Knowing that, you should always make sure both the surface of the cpu and the gpu are clean and have no oils from your fingers, alcohol and a cotton ball or a clean lint less cloth are good.
Here's the secret. make absolutely sure the film of the paste is thin as possible. Some use a credit card, I use a clean plastic bag wrapped around my index finger, always works better than a credit card for me.
Just make sure the film of paste is just thin enough to fill the voids between both surfaces, nothing more and the cleaner, the better.
-Woof!

Back