• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Downgrading Windows - USB is only 4GB

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

WinDoez

Dec 13, 2015
Hi. I recently updated my PC to Windows 10 and although I do like it, one of my programs which I need to use isn't as compatible as I'd like it to be(older program). I want to downgrade to Windows 7 or even XP or Vista.

Unfortunately, my windows key doesn't work anymore for some reason. I tried using a Windows 7 Activated iso and I tried to make it bootable, but it said it requires the USB to be atleast 4 GB. My USB drive is 4 GB but says there's only 3.7GB available(its empty).

SO! I don't really want to buy another USB Drive. I am wondering how I can make it work. I do have an external HD but i don't know if i can boot with that. Is there a smaller Windows 7? or even Vista or XP would be fine.

THANKS!

ThumperTM said:
Give a try with that USB, i dont need 4gb, it needs less than 4gb so give a try.

Good luck.

I tried using Windows.7.Ulitimate.SP1.Activated.x86.x64.ISO and the windows usb/dvd tool and it says 4gb is required to make it bootable. if u have a win7, xp, or vista that is a smaller size i would greatly appreciate it

WinDoez said:
ThumperTM said:
Give a try with that USB, i dont need 4gb, it needs less than 4gb so give a try.

Good luck.

I tried using Windows.7.Ulitimate.SP1.Activated.x86.x64.ISO and the windows usb/dvd tool and it says 4gb is required to make it bootable. if u have a win7, xp, or vista that is a smaller size i would greatly appreciate it

Hi,

I dont have any version with smaller size, sorry.

Keep the windows 10 installation then setup 1 or 2 Virtual machines for win 7 or XP that you can access with a Icon shortcut on the Windows 10 desktop. most any of the newer computers setup virtual computers in the bios. when I moved to Win 7 there were a few programs that i use regularly that i needed XP for. if my computer had run the virtual from BIOS all you had to do is download the virtual XP add on from Microsoft and it was done in 2 steps.since my computer didn't run it from the BIOS i had to use a 3rd part software to create the virtual space to install XP. then it is just like building a real computer installing drivers and the software you want to run. so when my computer booted and loaded Win 7 you started XP from a desktop Icon that opened a"DOS" window running the boot and loading the XP desktop it was slick and works great then you can make Virtual desktops for each Virtual Machine and tile them on your monitor or tab between one machine at a time.

now for full dis-closer I have NOT actually done this virtual OS's on a a Windows 10 computer yet but have several with Win 7, and have done the same thing with Apple OS 10x that ran virtual windows 98, 2000 and XP as well as a few Unix with Windows emulation but they were both using software for the virtual. since Windows 10 install wont take no for an answer i will be looking into setting up on 10 soon.

If you still need help , here is some tips, you can use something called "rufus" or "WinUSB" something similar to that i recommend Rufus more because i used that to format my pc why? because you need to add it to your usb and make it bootable so rufus makes that for you, simply install the program and you'll see a CD logo and select the Windows verison you are using and if there is anything saying "bootable" check it for more help please PM or reply to me here i'll try my best to help.

If you were on the moon, or mars, I could see the problem with acquiring a USB flash drive larger than 4GB. Where you are in the US, they cost about $5 for 16GB or $9 for 32GB, etc. That's the price of LUNCH.

Do yourself a favor and get a bigger flash drive. That's a very helpful thing to have for far more reasons than just installing windows, AND, it's probably going to have a lot better performance than what you already have too.

I know you don't want to, but sometimes doing what you don't want to do is better for you in the long run.

Back