• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

exernal hdd not found

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

R

RedGreenBlue75

Hi peeps I've got a problem with an hdd used externally not showing itself in Windows? Since it once by accident fell on the floor it had some issues. I ran boot&nuke on it and all issues are now gone. Installed Windows on it so I know it works, but nevertheless when connected to my laptop via usb as intended external storage it doesn't show itself. What am I doing wrong here? I've have connected drives this way before and they were visible. Would be grateful for help solving this. :)

Ready?
First NAB is not a diagnostic program. If a drive is really bad it will halt and return an error granted but it is and I stress no way a drive fitness program. The best bet is always to go to the drive manufacturer's site and use their tools.
IF the drive is good there are a few things going on. Not all outboard USB HD controller interfaces are the same. A true test of the drive is to hook it up directly to a SATA port.
Try downloading EaseUS partition master from their site, the free version is fine. Follow their instruction and see if you can create a partition on the mystery drive. Most times this will fix any remaining problems. NAB leaves a clean slate so to speak and since you are using an USB interface it may require a valid partition for Windows to see it. EaseUS doesn't require that.
Give that a try. I would recommend running a true drive diagnostic program on that drive before trusting it. It may very well be on the way out and NAB won't tell you that, that's not it's job.

Latest posts

Back