• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Gaming creators with disabilities connect and learn through Xbox pilot program

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

TWF Bot

Staff member
Nov 29, 2020
Bee Poshek found community as a full-time streamer and content creator after the pandemic disrupted a completely different career path.

“As an educator, one of my favorite aspects of teaching was kind of stripped out from under me – not getting to see students in person,” says Poshek, who was working at a university in Wisconsin. “I didn’t get to connect with them in that way or have deeper conversations. I also felt like students were going through some of the hardest things that I’d ever seen them go through and the systems in place were not giving me the tools I needed to really be able to help them.”

Poshek, who uses they/them pronouns, burned out. Their disabilities – chronic pain and polycystic ovarian syndrome – got worse. They also have autism. All those combined are a “triple whammy” that make traditional work challenging, says Poshek, who moved back in with their parents.

“Being an openly queer and disabled person in rural Wisconsin during the middle of a pandemic was an experience, to say the least, so I started seeking that community that I missed,” says Poshek, who found Twitch via some of their favorite Sims creators on YouTube. “I started finding niche communities that I really felt comfortable in, and eventually I worked up the courage to try it for myself. It’s been more than I ever expected it to be.”

Poshek, pictured above, was one of five people who joined the first Xbox Next Level (XNL) Creator Program, a six-week accelerator designed to help gaming streamers from underrepresented communities. Free virtual sessions focused on tools and resources to help them succeed in making creation a full-time job, and they received guidance on potential partnerships, creating a hosting reel, camera presentation, social media best practices and more. Read more about Poshek and the other program creators on Source, which also has a shortform version of their experiences.

Continue reading...

Back