• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Install old back up image to new, different laptop

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Myk_robots

Nov 12, 2022
Hello all,

So im trying to install an old windows backup (created with the windows native software) to a newer different laptop. The old machine which I backed up was a Lenova Y700i - I took it in for repair (removed the HDD before it went in), however the unscrupulous individual closed his shop and changed his number (over a year ago during covid time). I have an ISO of the image. I bought new laptop (Asus f-15 Intel/nvidia).

There may be important crypto exchange and wallet info worth a few thousand bucks from the old machines ISO, so I'm eager to try recover the os.

I have tried before but only on partitioned 2.5" HDD. I have read it needs to be a clean HDD, I now have a formatted 2.5" mechanical 1TB seagate HDD and want to recover the old os (Y700i image).

I have tried - install a DL'd torrent on an unaltered image of windows (iso) to a partition of a HDD, I installed that windows version (10) using RUFUS USBboot disk tool from the iso. I then tried to RESTORE the old ISO to the clean os. I can't remember the reason but it didn't take (i read that the image was only compatible with the old Y700i config i backed up, but other info was contrary to this).

So the question is, can I RESTORE the old back up (iso) image to a new drive, using the new machine. I don't care in the OS is fully funtcional, i need to be able to access the Old OS.

The machine I currently use has 2 x M2 and 1 x 2.5" slots on the M'Board. I am running 2 x OSes on the machine both running off of different M2 drives (I just enter boot mode and select he OS I need at that time). One of the drives was taken out of the old Y700i, It boots fine and with the addition of a few drivers it works flawlessly, for this reason i don't see why the OS Backup image won't take.

I look forward to hearing from you guys about this.

Thanks,

Mike

Back