What's new

Installing a hard drive for a backup on the network

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 50.000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

BrianCa

Aug 27, 2019
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 80.0.3987.132
i would like to know if i can take a hard drive that i now use as a usb backup drive and if they make an adapter that will let me plug that drive on my network switch and then do network backups? ringtone download

getting a regular nas backup device just seems way overboard for a home use and for me way out of my budget. i see that some modems will let you plug a thumb drive and maybe even some hard drives into them for using as backup drives, but the netgear people just can't answer that question for me, so maybe someone here knows how to do this or has done this.

so if anyone has a c7000 netgear modem router device and has plugged a usb hard drive into the back of that device to use as a backup drive then please let me know if it works. guitar tones

or if anyone has found a usb to cat5 adapter that i can plug my usb backup hard drive into and then plug that adapter into the network switch, and have that work for a backup for my files. please pass that along. thanks

Last edited:

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
OS X
BR
Chrome 80.0.3987.132
Honestly you are looking for a NAS device. NAS has it's own CPU and code to navigate the network and to organize your backups.
Hope that clears things up. They are really cheap to build from an old otherwise unwanted system. There are plenty of free programs available. Check out filehippo or similar to see what may best suit your needs.

Robert1961

Jan 29, 2019
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 80.0.3987.132
Assuming you needed to move your drive to a different device on your network is where you went wrong. You can share the drive over your network with it still attached to your original machine (or any other PC on your network for that matter). Just google "sharing an entire drive on network with windows". It's a relatively painless process and it's absolutely free.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Installing XP SP3 on a formatted Hard Disk Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 2
X After clean installing Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade and Installation 10
S Problem with installing office 2016 on windows 10 Windows 10 Help and Support 4
DVDR_Dog How to Block Windows 10 Update Force Installing the New Edge Browser Windows 10 Help and Support 6
B Windows 8 boot up screen complete freeze after installing new hardware Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 5
S Microsoft office pro plus 2016 not fully installing on Windows 10. Windows 10 Help and Support 4
Teebagger KMSpico 10.1.8 FINAL + Portable installing issues Windows 10 Help and Support 21
J I need help installing the premium version of Malwarebytes. Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 1
Q Trouble installing Acrobat 11 patch, amtemu.v0.9.-painter Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 0
M Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2016 - Installing on MAC Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 0
B Need help installing FolderLock 7.5.2. Windows 8 and 7 Software Chat and Support 0
K Ardamax keylogger not installing Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 7
C KMSpico Windows 7 Installing Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 2
R Nero 2016 Platinum not installing Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 3
B installing kaspersky keys Windows 8 and 7 Software Chat and Support 5
D Installing OS/ booting with usb Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 2
M Need help installing winrar Windows 8 and 7 Software Chat and Support 3
O External hard disks keep disconnecting while rendering video Windows 10 Help and Support 3
DVDR_Dog Hard Drive Failure Stats Windows 10 Hardware Chat and Support 0
O hard drives Windows 10 Help and Support 11
ARCADIAN Hard Drive Cloning. Best or Not so Best. Backup, Imaging, and Disk Management Help 2
O external wd hard drive Windows 10 Hardware Chat and Support 3
O 3trbyte hard drive Windows 10 Help and Support 15
ThumperTM 5MB Hard Disk (1956) Free Pictures 11
K Trouble Downloading Hard Drive Inspector Pro Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 1
A Slow copy speeds to external drive Windows 10 Help and Support 4
B HDD Regenerator not recognising USB Flash drive Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 1
UXA How to create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive Tutorials 15
C STEPS IN MAKING YOUR USB BOOTABLE (NO BUILT N CDROM DRIVE) Windows 8 and 7 Help and Support 4