• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Lenovo’s 2022 MWC lineup introduces ThinkPad X13s and other Windows 11 powered PC laptops

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

TWF Bot

Staff member
Nov 29, 2020
At MWC Barcelona, Lenovo unveiled a lineup of Windows 11 laptops to meet the needs of hybrid workers, global travelers, students, gamers and more. The first ThinkPad powered by the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 compute platform – running up to Windows 11 Pro – is the ThinkPad X13s, developed in collaboration with Qualcomm and Microsoft. The ultra-slim, 2.35-pound, fan-less design also incorporates battery life up to 28 hours, enhanced 5G connectivity options and application support through the Microsoft App Assure program for maximum productivity, security and collaboration. Lenovo, Qualcomm and Microsoft are continuously collaborating with top tier ISVs (Independent Software Vendors) for native compatibility through the Microsoft App Assure program on Windows on Arm of business-critical applications such as Microsoft 365, Zoom, Sophos and many more. [caption id="attachment_176910" align="aligncenter" width="1024"] ThinkPad X13s[/caption] The X13s is equipped with advanced hardware and software threat protection through the ThinkShield end-to-end security platform, and the Snapdragon 8cx compute platform integrates layered secure boot and Microsoft Pluton architecture running on the Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit (SPU) for chip-to-cloud protection of user identity, data and applications on Windows 11 PCs. Since video calls are here to stay, this device enhances those experiences with a communications bar integrated with a 5-megapixel camera that has AI-based auto framing and standard triple-array microphones providing intelligent noise suppression during conference calls. Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 introduces a Computer Vision processor featuring major user experience improvements, from smarter human presence detection for a more convenient user authentication experience to added security, privacy and power saving by automatically turning off or dimming the display when the user looks away. The 5nm architecture delivers fast and efficient processing speeds with system-level performance boosts of up to 57% and handles multi-tasking up to 85% faster for smooth, responsive performance. Wi-Fi 6E provides a more stable high-speed connection and when it is not available, the device can switch up to 5G mmWave or sub6 Wireless WAN. This is also a device designed with sustainability in mind, built with 90% certified recycled magnesium in the top and bottom covers, 97% PCC plastic in the battery Printed Circuit Board (PCB) cover and battery frame, and with recyclable carton and bumpers in the packaging. In addition to recycled materials and efficient manufacturing processes, Lenovo also offers bulk packaging which can reduce packaging waste. And by enabling businesses to contribute to specific ecological projects through Lenovo’s CO2 Offset Service, customers have offset more than 500,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide across their purchases of Think PCs (desktops, workstations, laptops). That’s the equivalent of the amount of greenhouse gases emitted from more than 100,000 passenger vehicles driven over the course of one year. The ThinkPad X13s is expected to be available from May 2022, with a starting price of $1099. [caption id="attachment_176911" align="aligncenter" width="1024"] ThinkBook 14s Yoga Gen 2[/caption] The ThinkBook 14s Yoga Gen 2, powered by Windows 11 Pro, comes with 12th Gen Intel Core processors, fast SSD storage, Intel Thunderbolt 4 and Intel Wi-Fi 6E connectivity to handle the most demanding workloads locally or in the cloud. Help protect data and identity with Smart Power On, a touch fingerprint reader integrated into the power button, that adds a layer of security and convenience and is managed by the standard hardware discrete Trusted Platform Module 2.0 (dTPM). Multiple modes mean the 14s Yoga can adapt to user needs and optimize workflow, with dual SSD storage that supports up to 2 x 1TB PCIe Gen 4 SSDs offering space for the biggest files. Intel Thunderbolt 4 and USB Type-C ports provide rapid data transfer and simplify connectivity to power and external peripherals, including displays. Intel Wi-Fi 6E boosts wireless performance with greater bandwidth, lower latency and more stable connectivity. With the Smart Pen, you can take notes, sketch designs and sign documents. When the screen is locked, removing the pen opens the Smart Note app for quick notetaking. In Windows 11, new haptics support provides a more responsive and intuitive feel with Windows Ink workspace just a gesture away by simply picking up the pen. The ThinkBook 14s Yoga Gen 2 is expected to be available starting in April, for $849. Whether learning from home, working in an office or just staying in to relax, users can level-up with intuitive features in versatile form factors that do more with Windows 11 IdeaPads that have a slimmer, lighter build for portability. [caption id="attachment_176912" align="aligncenter" width="1024"] IdeaPad Flex 5i in multiple modes[/caption] The IdeaPad Flex 5i convertible laptop has up to 12th Gen Intel Core i7 U-series processor and Intel Iris Xe MAX Graphics, while the IdeaPad Flex 5 comes with up to AMD Ryzen 7 processor with built-in Radeon graphics. A 360-degree hinge enables multiple modes, such as laptop to tablet mode, or stand to tent mode. The drop-down hinge design allows the keyboard to slightly lift when opening the laptop for a more comfortable typing experience. It’s a feature that also helps to focus the user’s field of view above the bottom bezel for a roomy 90% active screen area. These IdeaPad laptops come TÜV-certified for low blue light technology to help reduce eye strain while maintaining color accuracy, plus feature an upgraded FHD webcam plus privacy shutter. Lenovo’s Smart Noise Cancelling helps tune out background chatter to enhance hybrid learning experiences. The mic picks up the user’s voice clearly and helps to suppress feedback from clackety typing noises or loudspeakers in the background. Experience clear sound via user-facing speakers with Dolby Audio and 65W support for fast charging for 15 minutes for two hours of video playback via Rapid Charge Boost. [caption id="attachment_176913" align="aligncenter" width="1024"] IdeaPad Gaming 3i[/caption] For gamers who also want to do schoolwork or other work, Lenovo introduced its new Windows 11 IdeaPad Gaming 3i and IdeaPad Gaming 3 laptop series in two screen sizes (15-inch and 16-inch). Its makeover is inside as well as outside, with improved thermal components for quieter gameplay, fresh chassis colors and high-performance detailing. A quick peek under this machine’s hood reveals powerful processing and graphics for budding gaming prowess and top-notch streaming – making it a great choice for first-time gamers who could also use a little help from Lenovo’s signature gaming keyboard. These gaming laptops deliver up to a 165Hz refresh rate for a satisfying gaming experience and high-quality videos via an entertainment system that’s gaming-optimized and packs top-notch performance with an option of up to 12th Gen Intel Core i7 H-series processor or AMD Ryzen 6000 Series processors. Find out more about these devices and the entire Lenovo lineup introduced at MWC Barcelona.

Continue reading...

Thinkpad good, all other Lenovo bad.
I had to replace a keyboard in a y40-70 this weekend. All I can say is you have to be kidding! Here's the most vulnerable part of a laptop and this keyboard was sonic welded into the top of the case. Practically, that would mean removing the entire guts of the laptop and reassembling on a new top part of the case. Who knows what that might cost. I chose to cut every one of the plastic bits to get the keyboard out, not to mention peeling huge plastic on-side adhesive sheets off the top of the keyboard and a foil/plastic sheet off the keyboard itself.
I ended up having to glue the whole assembly back together a long, painful job. I guess Lenovo has jumped on the Toshiba, etc bandwagon and buy generic PC boards from a manufacturer and then send case designs to them. The bid is then presented to the "manufacturer" and the lowest bid wins and the consumer loses. That's why I stick to Dell Latitude/XPS, HP commercial lines, and Lenovo Thinkpads. I feel pretty comfortable saying that having recently left my job as managing a multi brand repair facility.

My Y40-70's keyboard had to be replaced this weekend. You must be kidding, right? A laptop's keyboard is one of the most vulnerable parts, and this one was sonic weld into the top of the case. The best laptops for pastors entire guts would have to be removed and reassembled on a new top. This may be expensive. To remove the keyboard, I cut every piece of plastic, removed large sheets of plastic from the top side of the keyboard, and removed the foil/plastic sheet that covered the keyboard itself.

EDIT I finished it tonight. To my surprise the system fired right up and the new keyboard works great. I would not recommend trying this repair, spend the extra bucks and buy the top case with integrated keyboard. It's still a pain, you have to tear the whole bottom of the system down.

Last edited:
My Y40-70's keyboard had to be replaced this weekend. You must be kidding, right? A laptop's keyboard is one of the most vulnerable parts, and this one was sonic weld into the top of the case. The best laptops for pastors entire guts would have to be removed and reassembled on a new top. This may be expensive. To remove the keyboard, I cut every piece of plastic, removed large sheets of plastic from the top side of the keyboard, and removed the foil/plastic sheet that covered the keyboard itself.

EDIT I finished it tonight. To my surprise the system fired right up and the new keyboard works great. I would not recommend trying this repair, spend the extra bucks and buy the top case with integrated keyboard. It's still a pain, you have to tear the whole bottom of the system down.
Dunno how I missed this one, I had the same problem. Ain't it a bitch! Both my laptops one Dell Precision running Win 11 natively, no mods and a Y40-70. Both of them blue screen when Windows update loads the AMD WMI drivers. I will say I have done more difficult repairs than the Y40-70 keyboard, even tho the first replacement I received was damaged. Other than the graphic drivers the Y40-70 is OK but is getting dated and it didn't like Win 11 so I rolled it back.

Best laptop for a pastor? Dell Latitude hands down and nobody's paying me to say that.

Last edited:
Back