• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

New ChromeLoader malware surge threatens browsers worldwide

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

This makes virustotal much more important as a final checkpoint before installing cracked software.

Read about it at Bleeping Computer
I use the virustotal regularly but it has some limitations. Most of the time it cannot tell you if the file you are about to download contains a virus. Also if the virus is one of the really nasty ones that attack as soon as your mouse touches the .rar file virustotal is useless at that point.

I use the virustotal regularly but it has some limitations. Most of the time it cannot tell you if the file you are about to download contains a virus. Also if the virus is one of the really nasty ones that attack as soon as your mouse touches the .rar file virustotal is useless at that point.
well, that's why the Windows Defender is totally enough. when it's a really nasty virus, all anti-virus-software has a big problem. And separating the OS from the rest on C:\ makes it easy to reinstall the whole PC. more efficient, when you created an image of your C:\-partition, esp. when you create it as a wim-file via DISM.

well, that's why the Windows Defender is totally enough. when it's a really nasty virus, all anti-virus-software has a big problem. And separating the OS from the rest on C:\ makes it easy to reinstall the whole PC. more efficient, when you created an image of your C:\-partition, esp. when you create it as a wim-file via DISM.
DISM has saved my hind end on more than one occasion but I've never used it to do a backup and will check into it. Tel me this would I also be able to use that backup image with DIOSM to do an offline image repair?

DISM has saved my hind end on more than one occasion but I've never used it to do a backup and will check into it. Tel me this would I also be able to use that backup image with DIOSM to do an offline image repair?
you can mount your image with DISM. Then you can swap files but you can't install anything. the mounting is only for e.g. swapping files .

you can capture an image:

dism /capture-image /imagefile:C:\[nameoftheimage] /name:C:\[nameoftheimage] /capturedir:[drivefromwhereyouwanttocapture]:\

you can "install" an image:
dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\[nameoftheimage] /index:1 /applydir:[drivewhereouwanttoapply]:\

you can append a second image,when you have another drive on your computer:

dism /append-image /imagefile:C:\[nameofthemainimage] /capturedir:[nameofthe2nddrive] /name:[nameofthe2nddrive]

then the image has TWO index
you can check it with:

dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:[nameofyourwimfile]

and there are more dism-commands... it's quite an interesting and big topic....

Back