• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

New member enquiring about indexing options on Windows

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

talkingcats

Apr 3, 2023
Hi,

I am a new member. I presently use a Windows 10 Pro box and use X1 Search to index all my emails, documents, contact lists, etc.

I find the default tools provided my Microsoft to be too slow and clunky for my purposes and over the past 10+ years I have become used to X1 which is perfect for me. Becasue it works on a previously generated index it is blazingly fast

My issue is this: I don't think my very old copy of X1 Search (with permanent licence) will work on Windows 11. X1 have now adopted a rental model and I don't really want that if I can avoid it

Can anyone suggest an alternative tool that would give me similar functionality. I am happy to repost this if it is not appropriate to post it here. Thanks in advance for any advice

The functionality I must have is:
ability to index local .PST files​
ability to index local Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc documents​
ability to index multimedia files of all common types​
cloud files nice to have but not essential​
Need to be able to search on file name or contents of files.​

Thank you @DVDR_Dog. File Locator pro seems promising and is based in the UK, which is convenient for me. I shall evaluate it and see how it performs for me. As indexing is so central to how I use my PC, I need to be sure of my migration path well before I take the fateful decision to "upgrade" to Windows 11 next year. BTW, what does 1337x mean?

Back