• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Pausing deleting

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Dreumis

Feb 9, 2023
When deleting files, the PC hangs here for about 20 seconds and then it does the last 1%. Both in Explorer and Total Commander. And a lot has already been tried! This has been going on for a week. Came suddenly. Deleting not to the recycle bin does not improve anything.

Windows 11 with latest updates.

Dreumis

Attachments

• Total Commander en Verkenner.jpg
    Total Commander en Verkenner.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 3
Some extra info:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.70 GHz
Memory installed: 24,0 GB (21,9 GB beschikbaar)
Product-id: 00330-52788-43434-AAOEM
System type: 64-bits besturingssysteem, x64-processor

Edition: Windows 11 Pro
Version: 22H2
Install date: ‎ 4-‎10-‎2022
Build: 22621.1105

You didn't mention it but is this the main "C" drive as well? Something is holding up the data transfer. Could be an outboard drive, your "C" drive needs some housekeeping or even your antivirus. Open the task manager when you try and delete and see where all the resources are being used. That should give you a good idea if it's your computer or the drive holding things up.

It happenens on every drive, intern as well outside drives. We even put in an extra, brand new, SSD. When we copied a bunch of music albums on that drive and then deleting them, the same thing happened. No virusses or other malicious stuf found.

It happenens on every drive, intern as well outside drives. We even put in an extra, brand new, SSD. When we copied a bunch of music albums on that drive and then deleting them, the same thing happened. No virusses or other malicious stuf found.
Did you get a chance to check resourse usage w/task manager? Take a look at your A/V in particular, I've had to shut off Windows Security at times it was slowing disk activity inspecting every packet moving around my drives. Funny thing about those A/V hold ups I couldn't exactly figure out why it was happening, just what was doing it. There was more CPU and RAM resource available for A/V processing and caching. Disk usage was peaking out ~ 25%. All I can think is Security/Defender is not written that efficiently and the program itself is the bottleneck.
Again look at your task manager to see what's sucking up resource and then try disabling your A/V and see if that helps.
I take it you have the latest drivers installed, it seems you know what you are doing. One last thing, some chipsets will slow down a serial bus to the slowest speed of all items connected to it. Try pulling up each drive sequentially and see if you have a rouge connected. Your power supply is up to the job too, right?
Otherwise, you've got me Bro. I have run out of ideas.

Thanks for replying. Nothing seems to help. Already did what you propose here. Thanks again.

It's probably just a product of the size file you are deleting. It takes a lot of overhead to move a big file to the recycle bin. You can try something like WinDirStat or any other program that allows you permanent deletion rather than the ability to recover it. Worth a try, I use it myself.

Back