• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Request asstiance with xp install

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Methen

Nov 17, 2014
The first time I attempted to install the windows with sata I did not know you were suppose to disable the sata drivers in the bios and I was getting the blue screen as soon as the windows enter setup, I remember reading something about sata So I went into the bios and changed the raid to achp (or what ever it was called)and the windows installed that time it but I had problems, This time Iam trying to do it right but when I change the sata bios control to raid and disable the sata drivers I end up getting the blue screen again, am I doing something wrong or what? the main hard drive in the computer that has vista on it works on raid the other hard drive is using to install does not seem to work on raid....

please see link:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/11/21/PICT0002.jpg

This happens as soon as all the windows files are uploaded and enters setup...

Hi,

Can you please unplug your hard drive from your PC and plug it to another PC with external hard drive then Run CHKDSK /F or download Free version of HD TUNE app to see if you have any problem with your hard drive.

Good luck.

I do not have a external had drive nor do I have a another computer that uses sata, I still have the xp I installed on in it the first time I can try to run chkdsk from that, But the hard drive is suppose to be brand new to you. Ill try running some test and get back to you...

I could not get anywhere with the fdisk, could not find log, I downloaded some seagate tools and going to run a test on the drive tonight, What I think is happening is I just do not have the right sata driver for this computer, I wrote hp to see if they can help me with finding one or making certain that I do have the correct one...

Well I did some test, with seagate tools and according to that the drive is ok, I did some test, the only way it will go pass the error is when the sata drivers in the bios is enable and and only in ide and achi mode, I took and formatted the hard drive and installed the default OS vista that came with this computer and their did not seem to be any problems I do not really think it is the hard drive just something in that xp that is crashing, Tomorrow Ill try to get the XP back on the way I had it and try this hdtune and get back with you...

Methen said:
Well I did some test, with seagate tools and according to that the drive is ok, I did some test, the only way it will go pass the error is when the sata drivers in the bios is enable and and only in ide and achi mode, I took and formatted the hard drive and installed the default OS vista that came with this computer and their did not seem to be any problems I do not really think it is the hard drive just something in that xp that is crashing, Tomorrow Ill try to get the XP back on the way I had it and try this hdtune and get back with you...

Sounds good.

Sorry for the delay in getting back been busy, I did some test everything seems to check out, I did a little research on this computer which is a hp a1720n, I was looking at a bios update on the site and looked at the details and I notice that the only versions of windows it said it was compatible was all vista versions,So making the assumption the one that is installed is the same I think what may be happening is something related to the bios, I did manage to get xp installed by switching from raid to ide in the bios and leaving the sata driver turned on, So what I think is I probably need a special sata driver for this computer not certain thoe...

Back