What's new

Sharing files amoungest three computers on my home network

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 50.000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

RobertK

Jun 7, 2021
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 91.0.4472.77
I have a home network with three computers. They are all running Win 10 Home. I have "shared drives" with "Everyone" on each computer. When I am on my laptop (WiFi connected to the network) I can see Desktop#1 computer, but it asks for credentials (I do not know what user name/password it is looking for. When I am on Desktop#1 I can not even see my laptop. Desktop#2 does not show either Desktop#1 or Laptop.
I am getting tired of doing "sneaker-net" to transfer files from one to the other computer, or to read files on another computer. I hope that this forum will help me fix this problem.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 91.0.4472.77
Things have changed with file sharing over a local network w/Win 10. You need to change permissions for a simple share now. You know me I don't believe re-inventing the wheel.
Read how to here:
Scroll down to

Share files with File Explorer​

about a 1/4 the way down the page. I will admit when M/S first implemented that change, it had me confused as well.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 91.0.4472.77
I finally gave up and installed a NAS to be honest. With vpn's and the like it's just simpler that way. It's also a great way to serve multimedia files even across the Internet. It was a little bit of a learning curve to fine tune it for my needs.
Beats the heck out of any software solutions I found. They end up being more of a hobby.

wesscasual

Dec 29, 2020
OS
Android
BR
Chrome Mobile 90.0.4430.210
I finally gave up and installed a NAS to be honest. With vpn's and the like it's just simpler that way. It's also a great way to serve multimedia files even across the Internet. It was a little bit of a learning curve to fine tune it for my needs.
Beats the heck out of any software solutions I found. They end up being more of a hobby.
I will confess a limited knowledge of Windows 10 that is slowly proving as I wrestle control of a relatively new alienware 17in laptop from the clutches of unwanted apps, Windows Update, etc. I better tutored network person may offer a better, corrective opinion but I just won't open any router configuration that allows my home network to be accessible from the internet. I have had NAS drives on my wired/wireless home network for 20 years; I love them for backup and file transfer. When I purchased an ipad first edition it was the only way I transferred files to the iPad. I knoe many homes have security systems and controls accessible remotely over the internet. I have some fear that configuring my router to allow this makes all the cimputers on my network more vulnerable.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
OS
Windows 10
BR
Chrome 91.0.4472.77
Nah. Just find out what ports your NAS needs forwarded, assign it a static IP and you are off to the races. The only thing I would suggest is ALWAYS change your log in information for your router. You will leave the door wide open otherwise. Opening those posts to an assigned static IP will only make that resource visible, in this case your NAS, nothing else. Most NAS I use don't have a universal port configuration like a FTP does so it's harder to scan and find it in the first place. No worries. I use the Linksys app to configure my router, Linksys may not be the most secure but it meets my needs quite well and the price was right (somebody recycled it new in a box, my cost $0)