• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Slow opening

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Stormforce

Oct 6, 2021
When i click on a folder it takes 5 seconds to open. When i click on a 32Gb Movie it takes 5 minutes to open can anyone help

Ryzen 7 5800
RTX3060
16Gb Ram

Dude if you have 32GB fat movie than it is normal. o_O:eek: So what you have SSD or HDD disks? On HDD is normal but on SSD could be slow. Depends on how Windows works for you? Are you running some antivirus tool in the background or some process that is interfering with the normal functioning of Windows. Defragment disks and check their performance. Check your system for viruses. Try this command. Open CMD as Admin and try this:
sfc /scannow
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
2022-02-13 21_47_41-Window.png

Take a look at your task manager while you open those files. It might be an overly aggressive antivirus program.

Thankyou for your answers
1 I don't use anti virus other than Defender
2. sfc /scannow has no integrity violations
3. DISM shows no problems
4. All the movies are on a 2TB spinner along with nothing else

It just movies, right? Do you have a codec pack or something like that? I have read some of the 4k movies from Amazon and others are causing troubles. If it is just movie files have a look at them with VideoInspector and see what it says.
The thing about those codec packs is your system will take the time to "try on" every codec to find the best fit which takes some time.

No it is not just movies but they are the largest of files so it is more noticeable
I will have a look at video inspector anyway

Here is some info i collected Using VLC (the supposed best media player)
results from Task Manager
CPU : 2%
MEM : 3.7 %
Disk 1 : 97% ( where the video is installed )
time to start watching 10 min 50 sec
I installed Video Inspector and when i ran the same video it took the hughmongus time of 4 Sec to watch
what is wrong with VLC

Here is some info i collected Using VLC (the supposed best media player)
results from Task Manager
CPU : 2%
MEM : 3.7 %
Disk 1 : 97% ( where the video is installed )
time to start watching 10 min 50 sec
I installed Video Inspector and when i ran the same video it took the hughmongus time of 4 Sec to watch
what is wrong with VLC
That's a good question I can't answer. If you look at my previous posts I have had problems with VLC too. I installed HEVC codec and PowerDVD and I have all but abandoned VLC for the present.
Don't get me wrong, VLC was the go to for decades for me, something definitely has gone wrong lately.
Edit: Just thinking are you sure that your mag drive is functioning correctly and you have the correct bus drivers installed. That drive isn't by chance a USB connected drive, is it? If there's a problem with a drive it's not unusual to see that high seek activity. Just random thoughts.

Last edited:
Are you using usb 2.0 or 3.0? I would say your port is bad try swapping ports, defrag the hard drive check fir bad sectors, turn off defender and see if its runs better ive its CB oossible you have multiple files running even though your voy says its not, restart the computer, is the drive almost full??? You put 97% is that full or empty?? I’ve watched 2160 p movies as well never been that slow unless the hard drive is about to fail.

Thankyou for your answers
1 I don't use anti virus other than Defender
2. sfc /scannow has no integrity violations
3. DISM shows no problems
4. All the movies are on a 2TB spinner along with nothing else
If your 2Tb HDD is full you're probably having swap problems. Remember your 32Gb move is stored all over that 2Tb. So, it is having to search the entire 2Tb to retrieve the movie
1. Have you cleaned the drive with Windows drive cleaner? if not, clean the drive
2. Have you defraged the drive? If not, do so
3. Is that 2Tb 1 partition? Consider breaking into smaller partitions
4. Is it an external drive or is it your internal drive that Windows in on? If external then
remember USB data transfer is much slower. If internal consider breaking into smaller
partitions with the OS and Data on different Partitions
5. Consider upgrading to an SSD.
6. Consider adding memory.

another idea is to move the 32 GB movie to a different drive to see, as was said, the problem is that nearly filled drive used now.
Maybe run some comparisons: open a 1 GB movie, 5 GB movie, 10 GB, etc. See if open time delays are proportional to file size. Find out what "normal" is.
And is this some recent occurrence? Movies on this drive used to open promptly? Too full drive sounds like a strong suspect.

the spinner is a sata drive internally connected
and any tests i have done on it show no issues

going back to the opening post you say "When i click on a folder it takes 5 seconds to open." Something, not the movie, is slowing operations. Either drive or system.
1. Try the movie from a different drive. If still slow, must be System
2. Reboot in Safe Mode, check on folder open times, run movie.

Defraged the drive - ( it did not need it )
some more results on a 30Gb Movie
Spinner drive Power DVD 3min 35 sec
Spinner drive VLC 3min 36
Copied the movie to a 950 EVO
Power DVD 37 Sec
VLC 37 sec
so no difference on playback programs - all down to the type of drive

yeah but why are folders taking 5 secs to open? did you try Safe Mode to see if turning off b.g. proggies improves things?
Could be OS corruption. Do you have a UPS? Brownouts have damaged my OS in the past one little freeze up after another.
How long ago did this start? Do you have a Restore point before that?
do you have a full drive image you can restore?

Also, boot off a Linux disc or thumb drive and compare folder open and VLC. this will remove OS from the equation. You should always have a Linux disc around in case something keeps Windoze from booting

Back