• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

VLC Choking on Hi-bitrate 2160p HVEC Encodes?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
Has anyone else encountered problems with VLC with some encoders lately. I noticed it last night with a movie that was 2160p and undisclosed format. VLC the first time I tried played the audio w/ a black screen, I even tried to display the subs and still nothing.
So then I tried to play with Windows Movies and TV. Initially is wouldn't play at and asked me if I wanted to buy the HEVC codecs which I thought I already installed, but I have a lot of systems so I may have missed one. I reinstalled it, VLC still wasn't working but Movies and TV was. So I loaded the movie into my NAS for viewing on the home theater. Out of convenience I use my Firecube as my video portal. The cube has more horsepower than the stick. So I bring the film up and it looks like all the colors are reversed, at that point I gave up and downloaded another 1080p version.
To be honest, I try to keep my download sizes to a minimum as a rule and 1080 for most subjects are more than enough, this was an exception. I am still scratching my head as to what has happened. I have noticed ripping has lost it's appeal as an art form which is too bad. A well ripped movie can make it feel like you are there at times.

VLC works fine for me, .AVI and .MKV are all movies i download :)
Yeah it was probably a bad rip, that's the problem with these one click encoders. If the source is a little funky but plays fine it's not a problem until you feed it to an encoder and they can amplify a bad situation and make it worse. W/O going into the nitty gritty many of these compression formats have all the video info in the header and it's not a dynamic thing. Some players are far more fault tolerant than others. This was "allegedly" a group release so I am surprised a group would stick their name on a junky release, but I guess that's why Propers are released.

Back