• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

WD My Cloud Access Takes Huge Dump

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
WD's My Cloud remote NAS access has been down since Monday April 3. Big security breach at the root.
Read more HERE
Article by Sergiu Gatlan courtesy of Bleeping Computer.

Jeez It's been a couple of weeks now and still down. You can't even get to the support section of WDC. All hell must have broken loose with their My Cloud program. They aren't even giving out instructions how to get FTP access to their pro products. I wonder what's going on? They haven't issued any real info other than they were breached. This should be a good story when the facts are released.

Western Digital struggles to fix massive My Cloud outage, offers workaround​

• April 8, 2023
  • 11:08 AM

Western Digital

On Friday, five days into a massive outage impacting its cloud services, Western Digital finally provided customers with a workaround to access their files.
Since April 2nd, the outage has prevented users from accessing files stored on their WD NAS devices, as it required access to the company's cloud services.
The complete list of services that were down throughout this week includes My Cloud, My Cloud Home, My Cloud Home Duo, My Cloud OS 5, SanDisk ibi, and SanDisk Ixpand Wireless Charger, together with linked mobile, desktop, and web apps.
While the company said on Sunday, April 2nd, that it was working to restore connectivity and promised to provide updates the next day, a Monday statement thanked customers for their patience but failed to add any details.
Four days later, Western Digital finally shared a temporary solution that helps My Cloud Home, My Cloud Home Duo, and SanDisk ibi users access their files locally.
"The Local Access feature allows you to directly access your personal files from a Windows or MacOS computer that is connected to the same network as your device," Western Digital said.
"To enable Local Access, use your favorite browser and connect to your device's Dashboard. Then enable the Local Access feature and create a new Local Access account."
This knowledge base article provides detailed information on how to toggle on Local Access. Local access is already enabled for My Cloud OS5 (My Cloud PR series and EX series) products.

My Cloud outage follows recent security breach​

This massive and ongoing My Cloud outage follows the disclosure of a network breach on Monday, April 3rd, discovered by Western Digital more than a week earlier, on March 26th.
An incident investigation involving external security and forensic experts is still in the early stages, and the company said it's also coordinating efforts with law enforcement authorities.
Based on evidence discovered so far, Western Digital believes that the attackers gained access to some of its systems and obtained data from its network.
While the company is yet to link this week's outage with the recently disclosed security breach, it did confirm on Monday that it took "systems and services offline" to secure "business operations" and said it's working to "restore impacted infrastructure and services."
BleepingComputer reached out to Western Digital several times since the outage started to ask if there's a link between the breach and the My Cloud service interruption, but we only received a reply on Friday when we were told that our message wasn't delivered.
"We are experiencing a network service outage and your message has not been delivered. When services are restored, your message will be delivered to the intended recipient. Thank you for your patience," the email reply read.
My Cloud status page
My Cloud service status page

My Book Live devices wiped clean in 2021 attacks​

This isn't the first time Western Digital customers lost their data, with attackers scanning for Internet-exposed and out-of-support My Book Live and My Book Live Duo NAS devices worldwide in June 2021 to factory reset and remotely wipe them clean to destroy all data.
The threat actors are believed to have targeted an unauthenticated factory reset vulnerability tracked as CVE-2018-18472.
"In some cases, the attackers have triggered a factory reset that appears to erase all data on the device," the company told BleepingComputer at the time.
While customers expressed concerns that Western Digital's servers were hacked to push out remote factory reset commands to all affected devices, the company denied the rumors and said that its network had not been breached.
"Our investigation of this incident has not uncovered any evidence that Western Digital cloud services, firmware update servers, or customer credentials were compromised," Western Digital said.

Here's the question: Exactly what does doing all this nonsense mean? That you are a premium knucklehead? I would say that's about right. Screwing people's stuff up for no reason gives the whole scene a very bad reputation. It wasn't some really brainy move. They were attacking WDC's very old NAS servers that WDC has warned multiple times to disable OS/3 systems for security reasons and WDC would no longer support that operating system. Can't fix stupidity, can you?

Here's the question: Exactly what does doing all this nonsense mean? That you are a premium knucklehead? I would say that's about right. Screwing people's stuff up for no reason gives the whole scene a very bad reputation. It wasn't some really brainy move. They were attacking WDC's very old NAS servers that WDC has warned multiple times to disable OS/3 systems for security reasons and WDC would no longer support that operating system. Can't fix stupidity, can you?
Thats Funny

Back