• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Win 10 Pro Hyper-v networking problem

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

WonderWoman

Jan 22, 2016
Hello,

I am going through certification school and I am having problems with a lab and my tutor and instructors cannot figure the problem out either. I am using Hyper-v as opposed to Virtual Box because my Win 10 Pro machine was having problems with the VB and was already configured to do Hyper-v so we chose to use HV instead of VB.

The lab I am doing is having us create 2 VMs and get them able to ping each other but I am not able to do that. We have created a virtual switch and even but when doing that my actual real Ethernet adapter would not show up to select it. The only option available was “default switch” and that never worked. If a switch did show up it was grayed out and said a Broadcom which my machine does not have, my machine has a Realtek but that would never show up. I tried putting a checkmark on the Hyper-v in the config properties of the Ethernet adapter within Win 10 Pro. Every time I try to confirm the checkmark on that item it tells me that it will disable that exact feature/protocol I am attempting to enable, and it will not enable it.

I went ahead and uninstalled/deleted all of the failed virtual switches and started over fresh. For some reason this time when I created a new switch I selected “internal” at the start of the process and clicked next and my actual Realtek adapter finally showed up but I still cannot ping both to both of the VMs from my physical machine, nor between the two VMs to each other.

I do not understand what I am doing wrong or missing and can use all the help possible. If there are screen shots that anyone needs please let me know as I am happy to provide them; just tell me what and where.

Thank you in advance for all assistance and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

A few things I would check since they are connected to a vSwitch. I'd check everybody's IP address for starts. My guess is that the two VMs are on the 169.x.x.x network and neither are going to talk to anybody.

I once ran HpyerV off of a box with only ONE NIC. Wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do, but at that point I had more time than money. Assuming the VMs are on 169, it suggest that they are not getting an IP from the DHCP server (outside world). I'd consider adding another NIC so that the vSwitch can use is as a connection point for the VMs to connect to the outside world

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply but since this was a lab exercise the IPs were provided and they were not APIPA (169.). Another teacher was consulted at the school and he pointed out that we needed to modify some settings that we overlooked.

The setting we did not turn on was "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter". I am providing a screen shot of the fix in case anyone else comes across this problem.

Sincerely,

Wonder WomanHyper-v VS Fix.jpg

Actually, because of the CCP Virus school is conducted remotely from home......

Back