• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 version 21H2 servicing ends today, and it will no longer receive monthly security updates

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Hotrod369

VIP
May 31, 2021

Windows 10 version 21H2 servicing ends today, and it will no longer receive monthly security updates

By Sean Endicott
published 18 days ago
It's time to update your PC if it's on Windows 10 version 21H2.

1688252538095.png

What you need to know​

• Windows 10 version 21H2 has reached its end of servicing.
  • PCs running Windows 10 version 21H2 will no longer receive monthly security updates.
  • Systems on the now out-of-date version of Windows will automatically receive a feature update to an in-service version of Windows.

Windows 10 version 21H2 has officially reached its end of servicing. That means Microsoft will no longer ship monthly security updates to any systems running that particular version of Windows. The company recommends updating to an in-date version of Windows 10 or upgrading to Windows 11 to keep computers protected.

Windows 10 version 21H2, which initially launched near the end of 2021, has since been succeeded Windows 10 version 22H2. Of course, Windows 11 has also shipped since the rollout of Windows 10 version 21H2, but some PCs do not meet the minimum requirements to upgrade to Windows 11.

A supported version of Windows 10 will continue to be available until October 14, 2025.

Microsoft explained the end of servicing for Windows 10 version 21H2 in an updated entry in the Windows message center:

Reminder: End of servicing for Windows 10, version 21H2 Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations

Starting today, June 13, 2023, Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations editions of
Windows 10, version 21H2 have reached end of servicing. The June 2023 security update - released June 13, 2023 - is the last update available for these versions. Devices running these versions will no longer receive monthly security and preview updates containing protections from the latest security threats.

The following editions of Windows are affected by today's cutoff:

• Windows 10 Home, version 21H2
  • Windows 10 Pro, version 21H2
  • Windows 10 Pro Education, version 21H2
  • Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 21H2

As the saying goes, when one door closes, another opens. While Windows 10 version 21H2 has reached end of servicing, Microsoft just started rolling out the Windows 11 May 2023 feature update. The update is also known as Moment 3 and includes several new features, including an improved Widgets Board.

A supported version of Windows 10 will continue to be available until October 14, 2025.

Microsoft explained the end of servicing for Windows 10 version 21H2 in an updated entry in the Windows message center:

Reminder: End of servicing for Windows 10, version 21H2 Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations

Starting today, June 13, 2023, Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations editions of
Windows 10, version 21H2 have reached end of servicing. The June 2023 security update - released June 13, 2023 - is the last update available for these versions. Devices running these versions will no longer receive monthly security and preview updates containing protections from the latest security threats.
I don't know ANY Sys Admins who are looking forward to being forced to the Win 11 conversion. They soon will be presented with the choice of replacing systems that don't meet the performance requirements and perhaps once again having to educate their users how to deal with yet another GUI. Keep in mind Win 11 uses the exact same kernel as Win 7, 8, 8.1, 10. It's basically just window dressing, with Microsoft adding and subtracting features forcing Microsoft then to issue to plug the security holes these feature changes reveal out in the field of their consumers.
Of course wait and see, Microsoft will be offering an extended paid subscription only plan for Windows 10. I was around when I had to move my former employer to Windows 10. They had a DOS database program that the employees had become comfortable using over the decades. I remember when I started that job 15 years prior telling my boss and the co-owner he had better start thinking about a Windows friendly upgrade for that DOS program with with one that was available and he never bothered. That's no longer my problem as I have since moved on. I wish all those admins who have to deal with all the whining users that they can't use Win 11, good luck fixing that one. Programs like StartAllBack is not really suitable for a corporate environment.

Back