• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 11 Laptop missing option to disable change brightness based on content

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

TinyWeeTurtles

Nov 13, 2023
I am missing the change brightness based on content option within settings -> system -> display -> brightness -> change brightness based on content.

I am on an MSI laptop with the Windows 11 version that shipped with the laptop.

Would anyone know why change brightness based on content is not available to me?

This is contrast issue I am facing is shown in this video:

As the video shows: when I open a new window that contains a lot of white color, all color on my display goes dark and seems to loose color. This is not an affect of my camera, this is a true to life contrast color change.

It happens in all windows on all programs. It is especially annoying/disorienting using Word, Excel and ALT+Tab'ing to different windows.

How do I make it stop changing contrast?

Thank you

Selecting Changing Screen Brightness in the System/Display brings me to the Microsoft Help Website.

I am able to access the options for Brightness and Color.

What is missing the ability to click on Brightness and bring up the settings to control the "change brightness based on content"

Do you know why Windows would not allow me to click on Brightness and open the "change brightness based on content"?

Selecting Changing Screen Brightness in the System/Display brings me to the Microsoft Help Website.

I am able to access the options for Brightness and Color.

What is missing the ability to click on Brightness and bring up the settings to control the "change brightness based on content"

Do you know why Windows would not allow me to click on Brightness and open the "change brightness based on content"?
Is your windows activated?

As per my, you follow this:
  • Open Settings: Click on Start or press Win + I, go to "System," then "Display."
  • Disable Adaptive Brightness: Look for "Change brightness automatically" or "Adaptive brightness" in Display settings and turn it off.
  • Check Power Plan Settings: In "Power & sleep" settings, select "Additional power settings," click "Change advanced power settings," and disable adaptive brightness.
  • Adjust Graphics Driver Settings: Right-click on the desktop, select "Graphics Options" or "Graphics Properties," and disable adaptive brightness or dynamic contrast.
  • Device Manager: Press Win + X, choose "Device Manager," expand "Display adapters," right-click your graphics adapter, go to "Properties," and disable brightness-related power management options.
  • Update Graphics Drivers: Ensure graphics drivers are up to date through Device Manager or the manufacturer's website.
  • BIOS/UEFI Settings: Restart, enter BIOS/UEFI settings (F2, F10, Del), and check for display-related settings and adaptive brightness options.
  • Restart Your Laptop: After making changes, restart your laptop to apply settings.

I am glad it's not only me. The odd thing is when I attach a second monitor, that second monitor looks and responds perfectly. So I must deduce that it's a problem related to your's and my monitor and how it reacts to Win 11. Quite honestly I have no idea what's going on. I can tell you that it's driving me nuts as well as it must be bothering you. I know a bit about monitor specs so I will continue to try and figure it out. Again the second monitor looks great when attached to the HDMI port.

Back