• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows update is breaking a certain application

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Jim Rockford

Sep 30, 2021
I am running Windows 10 Pro. A certain application had been working flawlessly all these years. It works perfectly on my May 2021 drive image backup. However, today, it behaves erratically. What is the best way to isolate any particular update(s) that might be causing this issue so that I can turn it off? Is there a software that can accomplish this? Can I selectively install updates, and if so, how?

That's a little too vague to be even to suggest a solution.
Program? System? What do you mean erratically? We aren't Miss Cleo and can read minds.

I am Mr. Cleo and I just now read your mind! My mistake. Sorry.

I am running Pinnacle for Dazzle for a video capture card on a Windows 10 (21H1 build). When I launch the program there is a lot of crackling and static in the audio. However, when I revert to a 1909 build image from May, it works flawlessly.

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately you have 10 days after the update is installed to roll it back. Your only option after that point is to either reset Windows (which saves all your existing data) or perform a fresh install. Either way will require you to reinstall all the existing programs on your system.
Video capture is a very tricky thing with Windows and I speak from mucho experience.
You are dealing with hardware and software originally designed for Win 7. Any changes in the priority of IRQs can really mess things up, I don't know if that's your problem but I would suspect that.
If you go the fresh install route, don't use the newest ISO download from Microsoft online hopefully you can find a 1909 build or older ISO, install and set the updates to manual. Conversely if that program is the main function of that system, you might want to consider reinstalling Win 7 to avoid any conflicts. I wish I had an easier solution for you but video capture is a tricky thing at best.
Good luck

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately you have 10 days after the update is installed to roll it back. Your only option after that point is to either reset Windows (which saves all your existing data) or perform a fresh install. Either way will require you to reinstall all the existing programs on your system.
Video capture is a very tricky thing with Windows and I speak from mucho experience.
You are dealing with hardware and software originally designed for Win 7. Any changes in the priority of IRQs can really mess things up, I don't know if that's your problem but I would suspect that.
If you go the fresh install route, don't use the newest ISO download from Microsoft online hopefully you can find a 1909 build or older ISO, install and set the updates to manual. Conversely if that program is the main function of that system, you might want to consider reinstalling Win 7 to avoid any conflicts. I wish I had an easier solution for you but video capture is a tricky thing at best.
Good luck
@DVDR_Dog, thank you for your helpfulness and detailed responses. I resolved it simply by installing the latest version of the software, which I initially had a hard time finding. As I had a working image of the 1909 build where Dazzle worked perfectly, I did not have to reset Windows or start from scratch. :) I always create an Acronis image as I have never had the stomach to spend hours and hours re-installing and tweaking all the apps and then, as if that was not enough, spend twice as much time installing all the updates. During a few catastrophic failures, when nothing else would work, the image has saved my neck. I knew it was only between the 1909 image and 21H1 that it broke, hence I was going to fiddle with each update, all of which were within the past 2 or 3 days, well within the 10-day window. But, I was in no mood to even do that. I wanted a working Dazzle but also was not willing to be stuck permanently at 1909. Suffice to say, I have now made a new updated image of the way it now is. Thank you.

Back