• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Blue Ray players for Windows 11

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

gabriele65

May 19, 2023
VLC media player is very powerful, but it is not a good tools for watching movies in Blue Ray disk.
Is there a freeware application for this task?
Gabriele65

VLC media player is very powerful, but it is not a good tools for watching movies in Blue Ray disk.
Is there a freeware application for this task?
Gabriele65
Actually just about any player that plays DVDs can handle Blu Ray. I think your problem is more hardware related. You have a heck of a high video bitrate that needs to do 2 things. 1st it needs to be reassembled. Even though there is an enormous amount of data stored on a Blu Ray disk, it's still compressed and Blu Ray disk tend to be produced with large amounts of data dedicated to multi track audio. Leawo player is a free player that claims to be optimised Blu Ray playback.
Just keep in mind you are pushing a ton of audio video bandwidth for a UHD video. That requires a newer multi-core processor and hopefully a separate GPU to handle the video chores. If you are relying on a integrated graphics chip that shares CPU cycles with other on-board tasks that's going to require a more robust CPU.
In short, all these players must decode the video program through the same codec architecture so don't expect miracles from one particular player. (Now you don't have to wonder where the DVD in my handle came from, author of the charter of the now lousy alt.bin.dvdr group).

While VLC is powerful, for watching Blu-ray disks, you might want have try the free application called Leawo Blu-ray Player. It's user-friendly and designed specifically for Blu-ray playback. Give it a shot and enjoy your movies in high definition!
It all comes down to having enough CPU cycles available to decode UHD video in real time. Players can aid in cache memory management. If you look at the size of the stream feeding the player, scenes with a lot of movement and color take a whole lot of bandwidth while no movement or blank scenes use very little. The ability of a player to "look forward" and cache the raw video into fast ram qued up for deoding. Compressed video is a black art and changes somewhat depending on the codec and the definition of the video.
I look at the NFOs attached to movie rips and the time the group took to make it the best it could be compared to todays clapped out "one-click wonders" and I don't wonder why 4 or 5 groups all release the same popular title. It wasn't always like that.

Back