• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Challenge upgrading from W10 Home insider preview to W10 Pro

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

WonderWoman

Jan 22, 2016
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade to W10 Pro from Home. I have a legit code but have a really unusual problem that I am hoping the techs on here will take up as a personal challenge. I have tried researching this already on my own by scouring Technet and Google and other forums and even posted using the Feedback tool within the Windows 10 OS upgrade area but have not had any luck except what I am going to share which is not what I wanted.

My laptop is an HP DV7 6b32US purchased in 2011. I have upgraded it nicely over the years and I am still quite happy with it.

The upgrades now on the laptop have it in the condition of the following:

Windows 10 Home - but here's the "cute" wrinkle - important later - I am on the fast ring of the Windows 10 Insider Preview Channel (IPC) (screenshots of current vers. info included)

C: Drive is: (recently upgraded) Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
Second physical internal drive of 2TB I think it is a Hitachi 1TB mechanical
16GB RAM
Intel Core i7 Quad core - 2.4 ghz
17" screen

Laptop came originally with Windows 7 Home and I upgraded it years ago to Windows 10 Home. I am a help desk tech with 25 years experience and never really thought I would want to go to the W10 Pro but now I do. I have kept my original old WD 640GB mechanical drive to use as a receptacle to keep an updated clone of my OS on by using Acronis.

Most recent work I have done to prepare to upgrade was clone my current OS drive, then since I knew I was wasting good disk space maintaining the old Win 7 & HP Recovery Tools I decided to delete those protected partitions and merge them to my OS drive then test the drive then after testing for basic use for 24 hours clone the newly merged OS drive to the backup external. All good. All done. All before deciding to embark on upgrading which I wanted to do as an upgrade in place because I have too many programs and too many years invested in the condition of the laptop to really want to stress over having to start from scratch. Especially right now for me - important personal note to share - don't need the "from scratch" stress right now because 3 weeks ago my 85 year old mommy died in her sleep and I still am grieving and missing her. Please take that into perspective in your hearts and comments and be compassionate; thank you.

I finally tried to do the upgrade in place and got error 0x80070057 and researched that and it was slightly cryptic in the results. Could be corruption in the partition which could point toward it looking for information on the recovery partition which makes zero sense because that has nothing to do with anything as that partition is Windows 7 on my laptop (or at least it was until I deleted and merged). The part that was cryptic in the description of the error message research was that the suggestion of corruption was that it was only a "possibility" and that there could be "other reasons" and no descriptions elaborated further on "other reasons". Helpful not.

I contacted Microsoft and worked with a less than helpful tech both on the phone and through Quick Assist and his decision was that I need to come off the IPC and he told me that only a few things would be needing reinstalling not everything and then he proceeded to do a full wipe and blow away of my system and hung up the phone and did not call back! What a jerk. Glad I did the cloning before I called. I have safely returned my laptop back to its previous condition before the jerk blew it away.

My questions are these:

Is it possible to remove myself from the IPC without a full blow away?

Is there a way to create external installation media that will perform an upgrade in place from IPC Home to Pro?

If you saw how many programs I have installed on my laptop you would understand why I am desperately trying to NOT blow it away.

Win 10 Vers:
WinVer.jpgWinVer Inider Preview.jpg

Thank you for your help,

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

Sorry. There is no way possible to do the upgrade from Home to Pro version of Windows 10. The problem being is the M/S licensing. Once that key (or in your case since you are working from the original OEM install the royalty key) is incorporated into the install it's final. From that point the only upgrade would be to a later copy of Windows of the same version. It's part of M/S licensing scheme and there is no way to circumvent that once an install has started.
If you must have Pro you need to do a couple of things. I would enlist a programs like Belarc Advisor to attempt to harvest as many products keys from the programs now installed on your system if you haven't kept them on file. Second you will need to acquire a valid Windows 7 Pro key to use during the install.
I have been doing or supervising literally thousands of installs per year since Windows 98 1st ed. and know most of the tricks. Unfortunately from my own experience and that of others (rest assured this is not the first time this question has been asked) I don't think what you are asking as you present your situation is possible.
Pleas follow up if I am wrong, I never mind learning.

the solution to your problem is minor in nature.
1. upgrade from Home to Pro. open the iso, look for product.ini there it containes all the required Serial to upgrade from home to pro. the easy way to command prompt (as admin) slmgr -ipk (add the 25 digit key from product.ini)
MS will auto upgrade for you, and being IP it should auto Activate with the new IP License.

2. If your system has any issues that cause a UPGRADE In place failure. that can be caused by many things.
I find best to try and do a "Health Fix.Bat" as admin. this is what I use on my clients when they create issues.
I find also it fixes over 99% of errors...

If you decide to leave IP that is a different story. I also am a Full MS Beta Tester on IP Fast ring.
You also can Downgrade from Enterprise to Pro to Home, or upgrade simply by asking MS to change Serials/Keys.
1593035018597.png

Attachments

• Health fix.zip
    492 bytes · Views: 22
just stick with what you have now (be thankful it works, lol)
i'm curious. What specific use case made you think you need windows 10 PRO?
Would there be a work-around for that particular need?

[edit: lol, above post happened just before mine. Hope it works for you. I suppose you already wasted, er spent, the money for the pro version (upgrade?) ?]
{still curious to know why you need pro vs. home... i think there are windows network things involved, that would be all i can think of that matters, to some}

First my condolences for your loss,

It is very straight forward to upgrade to another version without the use of an ISO or DISC. Check this simple guide, it might help:

Code:
https://www.howtogeek.com/250503/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-enterprise-without-reinstalling-windows/

For your case use the Windows 10 Professional KMS Client Setup Key from the Microsoft link that it is within the guide: W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX (at the time being), when you change the product key.

Reminding you that this is a temporary key just to start the upgrade progress, your system will not be activated after a successful upgrade.

Then you can use your Win 10 Pro activation key.

Hello,

Thank you for all of the replies here are the answers requested.

My reason for wanting to upgrade is I will be going to school to upgrade my skills as a tech. I will be learning more advanced skills involving servers and networking including active directory and that will include group policy as well as Windows Sandbox virtualization and the many other features that go with it so having windows pro will be an asset to me. As stated in my original post my machine started on a legitimate version of Windows 7 and I proceeded to do the free windows 10 home upgrade that was offered many years ago so all of my keys including the new professional key are legitimate and I still have all of my original paperwork as I keep very good records. I have already purchased the license key For windows 10 pro.

I will be upgrading from windows 10 home insider preview channel. If there is a way to do a direct upgrade from windows 10 Home insider Preview channel to windows 10 professional insider preview channel then I would be willing to do that. I did make the attempt as I stated with going to the updates area and trying to enter in the windows 10 professional key that I have in the activation area and trying to do the in place upgrade from there which is where I got that error code coming up. 0x80070057

I think that many of you are missing the problem that I tried to describe in as straightforward a manner as possible. I know how to upgrade the procedure is not the problem I know how to do it the hiccup is going from an insider preview to a non-insider preview professional version of the software and wanting to do it as an upgrade in place and not having to blow away my system and trying to find out what that error code was truly telling me and what the fix is or what the end run around it is.

Again all suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Sincerely,

Princess Wonder Woman

First my condolences for your loss,

It is very straight forward to upgrade to another version without the use of an ISO or DISC. Check this simple guide, it might help:

Code:
https://www.howtogeek.com/250503/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-enterprise-without-reinstalling-windows/

For your case use the Windows 10 Professional KMS Client Setup Key from the Microsoft link that it is within the guide: W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX (at the time being), when you change the product key.

Reminding you that this is a temporary key just to start the upgrade progress, your system will not be activated after a successful upgrade.

Then you can use your Win 10 Pro activation key.
thank you for your reply I have a specific question on your specific reply separate from my general reply to everyone.

Your workaround mentions “ enterprise“ the version that I have is not an enterprise version it is the beta testing environment version that Microsoft provides to anyone who is interested which is called the insider preview channel. I am wondering if I am possibly understanding what you were hinting at correctly. Are you suggesting that your work around that discusses “ enterprise“ will also work for the insider preview version that I have?

I look forward to your reply because your suggestion sounds creative if it is what it sounds like.

sincerely,

Princess Wonder Woman

thank you for your reply I have a specific question on your specific reply separate from my general reply to everyone.

Your workaround mentions “ enterprise“ the version that I have is not an enterprise version it is the beta testing environment version that Microsoft provides to anyone who is interested which is called the insider preview channel. I am wondering if I am possibly understanding what you were hinting at correctly. Are you suggesting that your work around that discusses “ enterprise“ will also work for the insider preview version that I have?

I look forward to your reply because your suggestion sounds creative if it is what it sounds like.

sincerely,

Princess Wonder Woman

The guide just uses enterprise as reference to show you the way how to change Windows product versions. The thing is that your system is complicated because of Insider Preview.

Your best bet is to set Insider Preview to Release Preview Channel, pause and wait when your release matches the stable release. Then you can opt out from Insider Preview theoretically and would be easy to move to the stable build. After that you can try again the product upgrade to Windows Pro.

As far as system compatibility within your system that you are using for years, this can be an issue too. You could try some tools like Windows Repair ( https://www.tweaking.com/ ) to fix most of the things like the error 0x80070057 u got.

It is tough to get an accurate remote solution for your problem. Backup and try, and also bug the Microsoft Support more.

I am on the fast ring of the Windows 10 Insider Preview Channel (IPC) (screenshots of current vers. info included)
There is no need to use KMS as stated the operator is on Insider Preview. I only showed that I am on Enterprise, at this time, If i want to move to Pro i simply use slmgr -ipk and enter the 25 digit Pro key. or maybe i want to test professionalworkstationn=WYPNQ-8C467-V2W6J-TX4WX-WT2RQ i enter this key.
or
professional=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
or
enterprise=XGVPP-NMH47-7TTHJ-W3FW7-8HV2C
or
education=YNMGQ-8RYV3-4PGQ3-C8XTP-7CFBY
and if your system is not compatible MS will tell you.
and no matter what always check winver to see if WORTHLESS IF YOU DO NOT KEEP IT UPDATED
IT SIMPLY FAILS TO BOOT.
1593119781740.png

The guide just uses enterprise as reference to show you the way how to change Windows product versions. The thing is that your system is complicated because of Insider Preview.

Your best bet is to set Insider Preview to Release Preview Channel, pause and wait when your release matches the stable release. Then you can opt out from Insider Preview theoretically and would be easy to move to the stable build. After that you can try again the product upgrade to Windows Pro.

As far as system compatibility within your system that you are using for years, this can be an issue too. You could try some tools like Windows Repair ( https://www.tweaking.com/ ) to fix most of the things like the error 0x80070057 u got.

It is tough to get an accurate remote solution for your problem. Backup and try, and also bug the Microsoft Support more.

Hello Again,

I am going to work with your solution of what is akin to "detoxing" from "IPC" like a drug addict. I never thought about doing it that way and it actually makes perfect sense! It is def too big of a jump to go from IPC to normal Home to upgrade of Pro. That would be akin to asking a teenager to go from getting a learner's permit to driving an 18 wheeler truck.

As for bugging MS - as Dr. "Bones" McCoy on Star Trek (TOS) used to say over and over and over - "dead Jim" - MS phone/chat support will not touch the IPC for any of their products - I am on IPC for both Windows and Office and they end the conversation once they discover a user is on IPC and direct you to their IPC website. The website does have a forum but it is NOT RUN BY MS nor STAFFED BY MS it is "user helping user" and also on a voluntary basis by MS employees but they are not there to provide official help just act like any other user just with extra experience. So, in short no joy to be had anywhere from MS which is ridiculous. I still stand by my decision to participate in the program and readily accept the bumps in the road which have been few to none until this one for me.

I am going to change rings on the IPC as soon as I post this reply. Just a curious question; how long approximately, in your opinion or experience (if any) do you think before I can be fully transitioned off the IPC and be clear to do the upgrade?

Sincerely,

Princess Wonder Woman

how long approximately, in your opinion or experience (if any) do you think before I can be fully transitioned off the IPC and be clear to do the upgrade?

The current stable release is the "OS Build 19041.331" you can check here at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4555932
You need to wait for the next release that will bump the OS to 20k something like you have now with your Insider product. When the next stable release officially launches you will have a few days to opt out.
About the time, well, hard to say my guess is just later this year :(

cool, sounds like you are on track then; good luck and have fun

Well my advice would be to stop playing by the rules entirely. If you intend to advance your career to your expectations you are going to have to get your hands dirty.
Take it from me it's not a clean sterile world out there, you will be constantly battling the forces of evil (no kidding) as well as hard headed idiots who can't accept helpful answers.
How does the old saying go, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" or perhaps the more contemporary "You have to break a few eggs to bake a cake".
My point is rather than trying to play by Microsoft's rules which you know now are BS learn the dark side too. It will be invaluable to your future employers.
What that error is telling you it the M/S install program is encountering something it does not like. It's a very vague error but don't expect M/S to help you. To be honest a clean install after running a HD diagnostic from it's manufacturer will insure the install works but that's for weenies. You are going to have to do some digging around and trying a whole bunch of suggestions, as I said it's a very vague error code.
I can tell you this if you keep at it you will learn far more than any textbook will teach you. Many of us here learned just that way and I admit I completely hosed more than a few systems along the way but that's the price of learning.
So the reality is wipe the system and start fresh as M/S insists you do or pull the gloves on and get to work. I admit I find such exercises fun, gives my brain a workout. Welcome to the world of real computing. I would bet most respondents on this board have a similar story to tell. I would avoid that entire M/S IPC program, makes no sense and you will find in the future the less more people know about you the better. Some day for some reason maybe for no other reason than the position you hold at a company someone will want to dox you or stick a target on your back. It happens all the time. Sorry to bring such doom and gloom but that's the reality of the profession.
Good Luck!

Sorry. There is no way possible to do the upgrade from Home to Pro version of Windows 10. The problem being is the M/S licensing. Once that key (or in your case since you are working from the original OEM install the royalty key) is incorporated into the install it's final. From that point the only upgrade would be to a later copy of Windows of the same version. It's part of M/S licensing scheme and there is no way to circumvent that once an install has started.
If you must have Pro you need to do a couple of things. I would enlist a programs like Belarc Advisor to attempt to harvest as many products keys from the programs now installed on your system if you haven't kept them on file. Second you will need to acquire a valid Windows 7 Pro key to use during the install.
I have been doing or supervising literally thousands of installs per year since Windows 98 1st ed. and know most of the tricks. Unfortunately from my own experience and that of others (rest assured this is not the first time this question has been asked) I don't think what you are asking as you present your situation is possible.
Pleas follow up if I am wrong, I never mind learning.

I just wanted to let you know that I recognized your confusion based upon your answer. You might have missed the part where I stated that I purchased an appropriate key for the upgrade to Win 10 Pro. The problem I am experiencing is going from "beta" or "IPC" (Insider Preview Channel) to non IPC Win 10 Pro with a legitimately purchased and valid key for W10 Pro.

Sincerely,

Princess Wonder Woman

I just wanted to let you know that I recognized your confusion based upon your answer. You might have missed the part where I stated that I purchased an appropriate key for the upgrade to Win 10 Pro. The problem I am experiencing is going from "beta" or "IPC" (Insider Preview Channel) to non IPC Win 10 Pro with a legitimately purchased and valid key for W10 Pro.

Sincerely,

Princess Wonder Woman
I never questioned the legitimacy of your Win 10 Pro key W.W. In as few words as possible here goes:
In your attempt to upgrade you are encountering a stop with error code 0x80070057.
Quite simply when that code is returned during an install (or upgrade which for these purposes is the same thing) the following has occurred:
Windows install program has encountered a problem with the current installation. These are the normal reasons for that to take place:
A file or files in the current installation has (have) become corrupt for a variety of reasons. The install stops there period.
If it's a hardware problem the drive either needs to be repaired using software or replaced.
If the drive passes diagnostics running chkdsk /r from a command prompt may fix the file system.

The current install may contain programs or drivers that are no longer compatible with this version of Windows.
I see that you may have upgraded a Win 7 install to Win 10 it's not entirely clear in your post.
That being the case I would suspect the graphics driver as the main culprit. Esp. with laptops graphics drivers have proven troublesome even between later versions of Win 10. Of course there are many other drivers, programs which may be halting the Win 10 pro install as well.

It's worth mentioning that should you have installed programs that may have been modified in some way such as warez, etc. they could be causing the problem as well.

So you have encountered the beauty of Windows. You really need to let go of the idea that Windows should either deal with your problem then continue the install or at least provide you with some guidance on how to fix the issue. It's not going to happen and in this instance Windows isn't even going to provide you a clue. Sometimes an install will flag common problematic drivers and programs during an install and offer to remove them but that's not the case here.

I don't see why you continue to be reluctant to do a fresh install. If your key is legit just download the current OEM v.2004 Windows 10 from Microsoft and be done with all your troubles. If your legit key doesn't work, call M/S and they will fix it.
I suspect you are stubbornly holding onto some legacy program perhaps from Win 7 you haven't disclosed.
Data can be saved. Get a gmail account and get 15GB of cloud storage free, if that's not enough open multiple accounts, google doesn't mind at all.
So if you HAVE to keep your current install all I could suggest if it's a rouge program or driver software enlist a program like Revo Uninstaller use the advanced setting and start removing programs one by one. I suspect by your omission that you know darn well what the root of the problem may be. Try an Windows install/upgrade after each removal.
That is of course after you have determined your hardware is in good order and you have run chkdsk.

Honestly from your replies it seems you are trying to do something that isn't normally possible and don't wish to hear any advice that may be contrary to the answer you want even though it's not a simple solution if one even exists.
I would open my mind if you wish to keep learning, the world doesn't always provide the answer you have fixated on hearing. It's not always black and white, 0's and 1's.

Last edited:
Back