• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Cyber Security, An Oxymoron?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
Digital security giant Entrust breached by ransomware gang

I mean really folks, how many dollars are companies like Entrust fleecing businesses out of with the promise of hyper-security when they can't even keep their own doors secured?

Entrust Products page

All I have to say is who is running the bigger scam, the ransomware folks or the companies who charge millions to "protect your business from them". Give me a good hardware based firewall, some restrictive group policies that some users may bitch about because they can no longer go to youtube or social media. They will in fact get their job done and unfortunately have to keep play time to non-work hours on their personal computer. Personally I bring my own laptop to work along with my work supplied system. One is for work, one isn't and my personal system is not part of the company's network.

Perhaps but we live in a society where cars, guns, drugs kill people at an alarming rate. There are those that say eliminating those from people’s lives is the humane thing to do. The unfortunate thing about cyber crime is one incident can have a huge potential impact on huge numbers of affected individuals who trusted a “protected and trusted” source.

Perhaps but we live in a society where cars, guns, drugs kill people at an alarming rate. There are those that say eliminating those from people’s lives is the humane thing to do. The unfortunate thing about cyber crime is one incident can have a huge potential impact on huge numbers of affected individuals who trusted a “protected and trusted” source.
Cars? the person behind the death is - a human being.
the same with guns. Guns r produced FOR killing people. there's no other use for weapons. they are buildt for killing.
drugs? well, the smallest number of deaths behind that. and the killer behind that - also the user, and other people.

that has nothing 2 do with computers.

I still do not find the oxymoron. ^-^

That's too bad. That was the whole point of the article. Don't know how you missed it.
The double irony was the company's name, Entrust. I don't think so.
You kind of missed the whole point, period. Hmmmm.

That's too bad. That was the whole point of the article. Don't know how you missed it.
The double irony was the company's name, Entrust. I don't think so.
You kind of missed the whole point, period. Hmmmm.
well, when u can't explain that oxymoron....then there was none.

The unfortunate thing about cyber crime is one incident can have a huge potential impact on huge numbers of affected individuals who trusted a “protected and trusted” source.
It's a bit off-topic but speaking of cybercrime I just don't get how the system deals with identity theft. It seems to me that if someone gets a loan or credit while pretending to me the creditor should eat it. The person may have stolen my identity but it should be on the bank to do their due diligence in making sure they are giving credit to they think they are. So IMHO the bank got robbed not me.

Well, nothing is secure, even in our reality. there is no lock which can't be picked.

#justsayin

:p
That's very true. The best we can do is try to make it as hard as possible for the thieves. As far as I know, the only current way to hack a Trezor hardware wallet is to have physical possession of it.

It's disheartening to see big security companies like Entrust falling victim to ransomware attacks. It raises questions about their effectiveness and the value of their services. Personally, I believe in a multi-layered approach to security, including hardware firewalls and strict group policies, but it's clear that even the best defenses can be breached. Speaking of which, I recently became a certified ethical hacker, and it made me realize how crucial it is to have the best people in the field to keep things under control. But it's unfortunate that many cyber security companies tend to avoid discussing their own problems, making it hard to know who to trust.

Last edited:
Back