• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Easily Increase Windows Privacy

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

bradnon

May 29, 2020
Windows is great and all, but there are some serious issues when it comes to privacy. Luckily, these issues can be solved pretty easily. This is my quick guide on how to do that and stay private while using Windows in 10 steps:

1. Disable Wi-Fi Sense - Stop automatically connecting to unknown networks and prevent potential MITM or phishing attempts
(Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi)

2. Use Random MAC addresses - Makes it harder for you to be tracked across networks

3. Disable Feedback and Diagnostic Reports - Limits the amount of info sent from your computer to Microsoft
(Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics)

4. Turn off Location Tracking - Stops apps from accessing your current location
(Settings > Privacy > Location)

5. Download Windows Privacy Software - Automatically enable important privacy settings that may otherwise be hard to edit
(I personall use Opticole which is relatively new, comes with some awesome features like file encryption, and is a whole lot cheaper than other privacy software)

6. Encrypt Important Files - Keep your personal data locked and protected from prying eyes. Make your own password manager by encrypting password files yourself
(You can use the same software mentioned above)

7. Disable Syncing - Syncing may allow may devices to steal your data without you even knowing about it, disable it unless you really need it!
(Settings > Privacy > Other devices)

8. Disable Cortana - Stop Cortana from collecting personal data or monitoring mic speech
(Edit Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search > Allow Cortana > Disabled)

9. Turn off Ad Tracking - Delete your "advertising ID" which allows advertisers to track you across platforms
(Settings > Privacy > General > Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps)

10. Control Camera and Mic - Limit the apps that are allowed to use your camera
(Settings > Privacy > Camera || Settings > Privacy > Microphone)

Hope these 10 steps help you stay private!

Last edited by a moderator:
cool
i'll add one
remove wifi completely, also bluetooth, and cell phone (modem or device)
best way to avoid radiation is to remove it completely
you can put your phone in a rad bag when not using it, or smash it like me
side effect: increased 'privacy'

Windows is great and all, but there are some serious issues when it comes to privacy. Luckily, these issues can be solved pretty easily. This is my quick guide on how to do that and stay private while using Windows in 10 steps:

1. Disable Wi-Fi Sense - Stop automatically connecting to unknown networks and prevent potential MITM or phishing attempts

2. Use Random MAC addresses - Makes it harder for you to be tracked across networks

3. Disable Feedback and Diagnostic Reports - Limits the amount of info sent from your computer to Microsoft
(Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics)

4. Turn off Location Tracking - Stops apps from accessing your current location
(Settings > Privacy > Location)

5. Download Windows Privacy Software - Automatically enable important privacy settings that may otherwise be hard to edit
(I personall use Opticole which is relatively new, comes with some awesome features like file encryption, and is a whole lot cheaper than other privacy software)

6. Encrypt Important Files - Keep your personal data locked and protected from prying eyes. Make your own password manager by encrypting password files yourself
(You can use the same software mentioned above)

7. Disable Syncing - Syncing may allow may devices to steal your data without you even knowing about it, disable it unless you really need it!
(Settings > Privacy > Other devices)

8. Disable Cortana - Stop Cortana from collecting personal data or monitoring mic speech
(Edit Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search > Allow Cortana > Disabled)

9. Turn off Ad Tracking - Delete your "advertising ID" which allows advertisers to track you across platforms
(Settings > Privacy > General > Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps)

10. Control Camera and Mic - Limit the apps that are allowed to use your camera
(Settings > Privacy > Camera || Settings > Privacy > Microphone)

Hope these 10 steps help you stay private!
Great tips! Thanks!
All our members should read this. One question: What makes Opticole @ $20 so much better than all the other free offerings such as O&O ShutUp10?
You should note that if you are on a hard wired connection the first two tips are out the window and another compelling reason to subscribe to a VPN.

cool
i'll add one
remove wifi completely, also bluetooth, and cell phone (modem or device)
best way to avoid radiation is to remove it completely
you can put your phone in a rad bag when not using it, or smash it like me
side effect: increased 'privacy'
How do you feel about 5 G jamvaru? Don't hold back now.

How do you feel about 5 G jamvaru? Don't hold back now.
good reason to smash phone, and if you don't mind going to jail you can smash 5g towers as well
video: some guy running an actual tank he stole into cell towers, actually BEFORE 5g, because 4g is also bad
video: 5g towers spontaneously erupting into flames
video: new cars with 5g spontaneously exploding en masse, whole parking lots
they are calling 5g the global kill switch. The towers have extra power available to broadcast with more intensity. The frequency they use is one developed by the military known to have effects on the brain to reduce mental faculty, ie weapon of mass destruction. Potentially, they have a doomsday weapon on hand that will destroy entire populations of people without harming infrastructure. But, it's ok, government is your friend.
lol
[oh, and all the rich elites have purchased land in no-cell tower areas where cell towers are banned]

well, i broke down and bought a new cell phone, a tracfone from HSN
i decided there are good reasons to have one
and i can use airplane mode ( i guess ) or turn it off
i will be getting a radiation sleeve for it, just for fun if nothing else; like when you pull out your phone it will be a conversation piece, lol
anyway... it's 4g though, so at least i won't be directly supporting 5g
that and we are already bombarded with the 4g/5g signal everywhere anyway, might as well use it, or make use of it
it is kind of disgusting really

IS there a way to plug the phone into a network to use it without using the wifi or cell modem?

IS there a way to plug the phone into a network to use it without using the wifi or cell modem?
Nope.
I had somebody at work complaining about their phone. I shared your advice with them. They didn't want to hear that but I insisted it works for you every time.

phone still works as paperweight if you smash it

That blurb about Windows 10 is notably out of date. Windows 10 is far more privacy respecting right now than when the first version was released.

You should use Windows 10 2004 (the current latest release) due to the deprecation of Cortona without an account. You should set up Windows offline so you don't need an account. Opt out of everything on the setup page.

Enterprise is generally a little better, but anything Pro or higher is going to be great. Mainly for the Windows Sandbox.

You should NOT rely on apps to change these settings. Most of them are closed source and terrible. Change everything you need in settings or even group policy.

Back