• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Edge preventing export of Bookmarks

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

oldgeek

Aug 25, 2021
If anyone has attempted to backup their bookmarks from edge, it now seems impossible. However, you can update chrome browser from Edge or Edge from Chrome, using the following method.

What you need to do is to open both Chrome and Edge together, place one beside the other by minimising appropriatelyso they both fit in the monitor window. Select the indiviodual bookmark or bookmark folder left click and drag it to the bookmark bar from Edge to Chrome or from Crome to Edge. As they are the same basic engine, the drag and drap work 100%.

You can also transfer individual bookmarks (but not folders) into any decent text writer like Notebook++. Simply use the same drag and drop from the browser into notebook++ and drop it in there, because this software will record the url as well, hit enter for a new line and repeat this process until you have all the bookmarks you want.

This is a very slow process to copy over to the other browser but if they are important, at least you have a backup with the links they lead to. The quickest method is the paragraph above.

Just a little tip that may help some who have either or both browsers. Not tried it in the other browsers but on m ost it should work ok.

OldGeek

that's why I don't like edge. never had those problems.
Agreed, my default is Chrome but Edge wasn't always like this, Microsoft just don't want any other browser being used. I use a few different ones mainly for testing websites, hence the use of Edge.

OldGeek

Well they sure have changed their tune from telling Internet Explorer users to adopt Chrome. Now they're using Chromium to try to trap you on the edge. lol

Back