• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Flexnet and Lag Affect in Win 11

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

oldgeek

Aug 25, 2021
There is a file from a company called Flexera that usually sends out something in free software but I can't think of the name but if anyone can find a folder called Flexnet On their windows 11 computer and experience lag when stepping out of a folder(s) I found that removing the software after checking, stops the lag entirely. It also installs a software manager in the hidden icons section of the taskbar and that is also removed and is seen as part of the cause of the lag. It will not affect the functioning of Windows 11 nor any app if this is removed.

The folder itself can usually be found in the boot drive usually C and is under Program Data as well as in appdata/roaming. If anyone is unsure how to reach the appdata folder, just press Windows key and R and type in %appdata% and it will put you right there where this other folder can be found.

Hope this helps someone.

Oldgeek

Just wondering why that software was installed in the first place. It's designed to manage volume software licenses primarily. You would tend to find that only in business settings and that being the case removal of that software could render any software unusable if it can't seek out it's license managed by flexnet.
Obviously that wasn't the case for you, but use caution knowing the possible outcome by that program's removal .

Just wondering why that software was installed in the first place. It's designed to manage volume software licenses primarily. You would tend to find that only in business settings and that being the case removal of that software could render any software unusable if it can't seek out it's license managed by flexnet.
Obviously that wasn't the case for you, but use caution knowing the possible outcome by that program's removal .
Yes you are right and is why I contacted Flexera themselves. They did indicate that while their software took care of licencing amongst other things, they said it was unusual to be found where only a single licence was in use, they indicated that usually it involves 50 licences or more. However, they were also willing to tell m e how to disable it but that still led to lag hence the reason why I said it may have come from "freeware" and even messed with, so I removed all references to it. The other reason why I removed it was I don't use CAD or similar software that Flexera indicated where it was most commonly employed.

Oldgeek

HINT: Next time use Revo Uninstaller. Some of these built-in uninstallers leave some goodies behinds. Using the advanced feature of Revo usually cleans them out.
I would change your DNS in your ethernet settings to either Cloudflare (Pri 1.1.1.1 1 Sec 1.0.0.1) or Google (Pri 8.8.8.8. Sec 8.8.4.4). You might be surprised that DNS lookups can sometimes lead to lag times depending on your ISP's DNS.
DSLReports speedtest can also give you a good idea of the source of other line troubles.
It's worth checking your startup file to see what's loading without your knowledge. For Windows 10 type "startup apps" in the search box to see what's loading at startup and choose what to enable or not.
DSLReports Speedtest

Last edited:
HINT: Next time use Revo Uninstaller. Some of these built-in uninstallers leave some goodies behinds. Using the advanced feature of Revo usually cleans them out.
I would change your DNS in your ethernet settings to either Cloudflare (Pri 1.1.1.1 1 Sec 1.0.0.1) or Google (Pri 8.8.8.8. Sec 8.4.4.8). You might be surprised that DNS lookups can sometimes lead to lag times depending on your ISP's DNS.
DSLReports speedtest can also give you a good idea of the source of other line troubles.
It's worth checking your startup file to see what's loading without your knowledge. For Windows 10 type "startup apps" in the search box to see what's loading at startup and choose what to enable or not.
DSLReports Speedtest

Yes one of the first things I had done, along with the startup and Processes as well but it was only hiding in the two directories, one in the Program Data and the other under "flexnet" in the appdata/roaming directory. As far as DNS goes, don't seem to be suffering any problems with that and I use VPN as well. The latter can slow me a little but not cause the lag I experienced with these two directories/files. I timed one lag at 20seconds and a couple of others at 9 and 13 consecutively which, to say the least was a tad long. Since their removal, there has been no repeat of the problem.

Thank you for the h int and is appreciated.

Oldgeek

Back