• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Games crash my computer :(

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

GeorgeO

Jan 28, 2022
Hello. I bought a new custom computer almost two years ago (custom desktop windows 10 professional, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics). At first it worked perfectly, except one or two games would crash it. This problem has gotten progressively worse, and now any game will crash it. I have spent hundred of hours with microsoft techs. They installed a custom windows. This worked for a while, but then the problem came back even worse. I installed a SSD as a boot drive, to make a new version of windows, but that didn't work. It breaks my computer, and I have to roll back or reinstall the video driver to get it right again. Is there a way to fix this? Which part is it? Can I replace it? Will a video card fix it? Any help you could give me on this would be MASSIVELY appreciated. I bought it less than two years ago, and now it's garbage. :(... THANKS!

Honestly now I know why I am such an Intel fanboy. Unfortunately you aren't the only one having problems with that chipset. That's a mobile chipset so I am wondering exactly what kind of custom built system you have. I doubt if your mainboard has provisions for a different GPU. Your best bet is to unload that system on non-gamer and cut your losses. There is no silver bullet to change things on your current system.

Yeah the GPU is incorporated in the mainboard and tied to the CPU. Other than changing the mainboard, you are stuck with what you have. Have you talked to the system builder? They spec'd those parts.

Bizarre board/chipset for a desktop. Do you know the make/model of the mainboard?

iol give you some advice from my own experience of building desktops. I started in an era where conflicts were an issue and I soon learned to just buy one brand and use one driver suite. AMD is the way to go for me. i get one download which covers my graphics card, chipset, and other drivers. Conflicts are still a thing. Hope this helps

I have no idea how to even figure that out.
OK well that being the case, your mainboard should accept any PCI Express x16 graphics card around. I agree with BigBlue, stick to AMD graphics cards. See if you can find some good used or a bargain at Newegg or Amazon. Quite frankly your system isn't worth sinking huge sums of money in your current system.
Graphics cards are funny. You can sink a huge amount of cash into the current bleeding edge technology and 6 months or a year later it's in the bargain bin. I am not a gamer so perhaps I don't understand. I really don't have the free time available to spend gaming.

I really would like to help you here and i am sure excited you have a high-end CPU. Don't you just love the classy capability of those guys at AMD? That aside, I am not exactly happy for you on two points.
The first is the idea of a 'custom' win10 operating system...that speaks to me on levels that I am very aware of and the next time someone says it...JUST DON'T!. Win10 doesn't need to be customized at all. Some of its functions can be isolated but that's all you need.
Secondly, the CPU you have is a beautiful thing, really! state of the art and you can eat that Intel! However, it will only allow certain games at certain frame rates, etc to run, before you run into issues. You will find yourself making adjustments to nearly every game you play. Buy yourself a DEDICATED graphics card and let the CPU be FREE. I think everyone here will agree with that.

It's degenerating. It's getting worse. I used to be able to play certain games, now I can't play any.

Secondly, the CPU you have is a beautiful thing, really! state of the art and you can eat that Intel! However, it will only allow certain games at certain frame rates, etc to run, before you run into issues. You will find yourself making adjustments to nearly every game you play. Buy yourself a DEDICATED graphics card and let the CPU be FREE. I think everyone here will agree with that.
Yes if you are a gamer. As far as AMD CPUs I have been around since they started making those things. Actions BigBlue speak far louder than words. I see you are both having a great time with your "eat that Intel" CPUs. Do you honestly think that Intel with all the resources they have would allow a former sub-contractor produce a superior product?
I will also disagree that customizing a copy of Windows is a disadvantage. That's the beauty of Windows. If you don't care to make changes to your operating system OS/X is a much better choice or possibly a rom based gaming system if you are a gamer and looking for bleeding edge performance.

Well you don't give us much to go on. Custom computer, Win 10, Vega 8 graphics doesn't tell us much about your system. Difficult to diagnose what the problem might be without some basic info like, what manufacturer built it, how much ram, mobo make and model. Custom computer can be almost anything. Most of the "Custom" computer builders tend to cheap out on as many things as they can get away with. I've seen "Desktop" PC's with laptop mobos in them. Not to mention that they love to load those pre-built systems down with tons of bloatware that can cripple performance.
Based on what you've told us, you are probably using an older Ryzen APU (probably a Ryzen 3 2200G), not a bad processor but not the best for gaming (4 Zen cores/4 threads as no SMT/HyperThreading support). Those APU's are totally dependent on shared system memory for the graphics processor, so you need as much RAM as possible (also the faster the better). That APU uses the AM4 platform so you could maybe upgrade to a newer APU like a 3200G. Ideally you want a separate dedicated video card instead of an APU so you can free up your system memory for the processor. Of course this depends on if your motherboard has a slot for one. Without knowing more about what motherboard you have it's impossible to know if upgrades are even possible. Your system should have come with some sort of manual that describes what is in it. You could always get HWiNFO to find out what's in your system. Or just crack open the case and take a look inside.
After thinking on this for a minute, since it did work and then it stopped working, I'm thinking that Win 10 update may have decided to change your drivers for you. You might try reinstalling the drivers that came with your system.

Last edited:
It's supposed to be a new computer. It does have a slot for a graphics card.

when you said 'custom win10' i thought you meant the OS had been modified by someone, then uploaded to the interwebs. Some friends of mine do that for a living, adding all kinds of hidden goodies. So I apologize if I misread that. Everyone that has replied to you here has done so from their experience, Starhawk is completely right...we have limited info on your system. I also thought about the drivers, but it also sounds from what you're saying that the CPU is on the fritz. Have you thought about taking it back to the guy you got it from?

Back