• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

How much RAM do you need?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

How much RAM in your current system?

• 4gb

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 8gb

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 16gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16gb

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 32gb or more

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No less than 16 here. CMS I use gulp down RAM without chewing...

Well RAM used to be free for me so everything I have is maxxed out. I will have to make a trip to my old place to see what's kicking around there, free is free and I still maintain their network for nothing. What's worth noting is a SSD and and even better a NVMe bus will speed the heck out of page file loading/paging. That's why a 5,400 RPM HDD is a no no anymore except for storage. Don't get me wrong for archival purposes as long as it's not subject to physical mishandling a 5,400 RPM drive give you great reliability at a lower cost that the alternatives and you can always go make a sandwich or relieve yourself while it's loading (J.K.) Now large capacity USB flash drives with a 2.0 interface are another subject, I avoid them for my own sanity.

I've got close to 50GB and at times it's not enough. But I am mining crytpo with 3 GPUs and my CPU all while using my PC for a host of other things at the same time.

I have a machine with 8GB & another with 6GB until I decide to reside somewhere and make new machines from all the old parts, but I use every bit of that RAM often, so I would say get 64GB minimum on a new computer if you really love your computer. I think we want as much of our stuff as possible running from RAM since we can access the virtually unlimited potential RAM usage we gained going from 32 to 64 bit.

I have a machine with 8GB & another with 6GB until I decide to reside somewhere and make new machines from all the old parts, but I use every bit of that RAM often, so I would say get 64GB minimum on a new computer if you really love your computer. I think we want as much of our stuff as possible running from RAM since we can access the virtually unlimited potential RAM usage we gained going from 32 to 64 bit.
If you're using up all your RAM and not in a position to upgrade at the moment create a RAM disk. It's basically mounting a partition of storage that is used as RAM.

Back