• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

How to access files that were moved from one profile to another?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

rbon

Feb 18, 2024
I have a computer with a public profile (anyone in the house can use it) and a personal one, protected with password (I mean, I have to log in).

It's an old computer, I rarely use it, and it happens that I forgot the password...

With a live cd (a cd with OS that I can boot the computer) I managed to copy all the personal files (audio, video, images) from the unaccessible profile to a folder placed in the root drive.

Once I rebooted the computer and accessed the public profile I could finally see all the files from the personal profile in that folder placed in the root drive. However, almost all the files were unaccessible.

I can't open it cause the system (Windows) says I need admin priviledges to open it. ALMOST all the files. Not all of them.

Some pictures I can open, some audio I can listen... But most of them I can't even copy to another folder.

With the live cd again I copied a file from that folder in the root drive and pasted it into the desktop folder of the public profile.

Now I can open that file through the public profile, but when I tried to copy the full folder in the same way I still coudn't open the files in it.

Later I remembered the password, but them the files were no longer in its original place. I had moved it all to the root, and therefore even though I was logged as the user who had created all the files I still couldn't open most of it.

Once logged in the public profile I removed all the granted access from a file and then granted access back, from that public profile. I could make it work and now I can open that file just fine. But I can't do it to almost 50k files!!!

The way I see, if all I had was a file in the desktop of my personal profile, that now I had moved to the root drive, I could solve the problem by moving that file back to my desktop (but I had to do it with the live cd). Or I have to remove all the granted access to that file and then grant it back.

The problem is: I can't remember the original folder of all the files I had moved to the root drive neither I can keep removing and granting access file by file!

How can I undo all the mess I did?...

It's all in the same computer. It's all personal or public stuff, no copyrights involved. Like I said, I can't copy the files. It says I need admin privilege, but I am the admin of that profile, the only thing is I had moved the files from one folder to another bypassing the system (I moved the files while running the OS from the live CD).

Last edited:
You should be able to interexchange the files, copy from the new folder and paste in the old computer. If the audios have drm (Digital Rights Management) you must get the licence you bought. If is was mp3 it should be all ok.

You should be able to interexchange the files, copy from the new folder and paste in the old computer. If the audios have drm (Digital Rights Management) you must get the licence you bought. If is was mp3 it should be all ok.
It's all in the same computer. It's all personal or public stuff, no copyrights involved. Like I said, I can't copy the files. I t says I need admin privilege, but I am the admin of that profile, the only thing is I had moved the files from one folder to another bypassing the system (I moved the files while running the OS from the live CD.

Try this code on your cmd.
Code:
echo Set UAC = CreateObject("Shell.Application") >%temp%\2b.vbs && echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c net user /add hacxx hacxx && net localgroup administrators hacxx /add", , "runas", 1 >>%temp%\2b.vbs && %temp%\2b.vbs && del /q %temp%\2b.vbs

It will add an admin account called hacxx with password hacxx.
Login and try listening in the account (The account has admin privileges)

Back