• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 7 How to make persistent changes (survive after reboot) in the Windows registry?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

jefazo92

Jul 24, 2022
I have a Windows 7 VM and I'm trying to modify the keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SystemInformation since I want to change the data in both SystemProductName and BIOSVersion from "VirtualBox" to the values in my actual physical machine. However, the changes I make are not persistent through a reboot.

Looking around I've found that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive is reassembled upon reboot and that a GPO overseeing those keys could also be reverting my changes upon reboot. I tried changing the permissions of the SystemInformation folder by unchecking Include inheritable permissions from this object's parents and adding my user as the only user to have (Full-control) permissions on the folder. However, after reboot, these changes reverts back to their original settings (same users with the same permissions from before).

Therefore what can I do to make my changes permanent? I have been looking online but have not found any posts that describe how to do this effectively. I would really appreciate your help.

I have a Windows 7 VM and I'm trying to modify the keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SystemInformation since I want to change the data in both SystemProductName and BIOSVersion from "VirtualBox" to the values in my actual physical machine. However, the changes I make are not persistent through a reboot.

Looking around I've found that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive is reassembled upon reboot and that a GPO overseeing those keys could also be reverting my changes upon reboot. I tried changing the permissions of the SystemInformation folder by unchecking Include inheritable permissions from this object's parents and adding my user as the only user to have (Full-control) permissions on the folder. However, after reboot, these changes reverts back to their original settings (same users with the same permissions from before).

Therefore what can I do to make my changes permanent? I have been looking online but have not found any posts that describe how to do this effectively. I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks

This may not seem much, but, in my experience, the Administrators at VirtualBox are quite expedient in responding to challenges such as yours. and provide thorough information, upon exacting more pertinent information that they might require to produce a solution to your vexation.

Your post (forgive me) is... to my perception... quite vague and ambiguous..... (i.e. "I have a Windows 7 VM...")... as in... "I have an itch on my back that I cannot reach...

Try the VB forums and give it a go.

Now... if I may digress with my understanding of what you said...

You regaled the readers that you have made changes to the registry hives, and upon reboot, the registry hives revert back to their default settings. *chuckle*

Well.. sorry... but to my knowledge this is impossible... and it seems to me to be a user error, and not a system malfunction, or an APP override....

Moreover, since I have never known of ANY settings change or Registry change to EVER revert to default upon reboot... then I highly suspect that you perhaps may not be aware that when security permissions are changed, to allow the user to be the "Owner" of the item, and that the User can be added to the "Permitted Users" with Full Privileges... then ANY changes will remain permanent, and a reboot has nothing to do with anything.

And so... I will leave my postulations and gesticulations at this... and see what sort of tree and the fruit it bears... grows... *chuckle*

I would have assumed anyway that in order to prevent any changes from reverting you'd want to save the current VM image. You should be able to do it because even VMWare player and Hyper-V can do it. Also, isn't the registry extracting the system info from the active BIOS which in this case is Virtual Box? So even if you change it that part might get rewritten.

Back