• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 Icons missing from taskbar after installing latest update KB5022906

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

brinj

Feb 28, 2023
Yesterday I installed the latest Tuesday Windows Optional Quality Update KB5022906 and after rebooting I find that certain icons, although the space is there on the taskbar, for settings, WhatsApp for Windows, and Skype yet the icon is missing. I uninstalled the update but the icons did not return.

Can somebody please tell me how to make the missing icons appear on the Taskbar?

Not sure what happened. Do you have Startisback installed? I would grab it. It allows you to easily place a shortcut to any program in the Taskbar. Just right click on the program icon and you will be presented an option to pin to the taskbar. I took a quick look at the update and nothing it's doing is obvious to your problem. Use Startisback and don't waste your time.

@DVDR_Dog Thank you for your reply. I tried Startisback but still there are blank spaces on Taskbar where the icons should be showing. Any alternatives please? Thank you once again.

In cmd type SFC /scannow
Then reboot. If that doesn't fix it try my post in resources that gives you instructions for using the Windows DISM. Doing all of this will repair image and replace any corrupted or missing files.

Thank you for prompt reply but still the icons are not showing after running SFC /scannow as per photo enclosed. Yesterday I also ran the Windows DISM but did not get any results. However I shall give DISM another try today. Taskbar.jpg

Give this a try
Show or Hide Icons on Taskbar Windows 10

1. Click the Windows icon on the taskbar, and select Settings (the Gear icon) to open Settings.

2. Select Personalization.

3, Click Taskbar on the left, scroll down to find Select which icons appear on the taskbar.

4. Turn on the missing icons.

Honestly if that doesn't work, save yourself some misery and reinstall those programs. It's just not worth the time figuring out wtf Microsoft messed up this time

Give this a try
Show or Hide Icons on Taskbar Windows 10

1. Click the Windows icon on the taskbar, and select Settings (the Gear icon) to open Settings.

2. Select Personalization.

3, Click Taskbar on the left, scroll down to find Select which icons appear on the taskbar.

4. Turn on the missing icons.

Honestly if that doesn't work, save yourself some misery and reinstall those programs. It's just not worth the time figuring out wtf Microsoft messed up this time
Thank you for the info. What I did was uninstall Skype and reinstalled it and I recouped the icon on the taskbar. I also uninstalled WhatsApp and reinstalled but the taskbar showed a blank space (no icon showing) occupied by the App.

So I decided to let go and leave everything as is. However I have one last question. Do I reinstall the latest update please? Thank you for your help anyway.

So here's my take. I'll give you a parallel to the company I have been with for 1 1/2 yrs. now. Like Microsoft since they have been basically purchased by a capitol investment company which puts them both being run by bean counters and answering to stockholder's board of directors which all share the common trait that they don't know sh!te from shinola, just the current bottom line.
There used to be an update trac at M/S that had a number of higher level people, 1 group would identify a problem and pass that along to the coding group. Their solution was presented to the testing group. The usual cycle was about 1 1/2 weeks at which point usually on a Friday it went to testing. Monday the tested solution was presented to the approval group and released for "Update Tuesday" unless it was held another week for further testing/refinement. I guess the bean counters thought that cost too much and decided to release "'solutions" with minimal to no testing and put Beta's out in the wild and leave their customers to sort out the problems their patches caused. My company has started the same practice and thankfully I am not involved with that division because I think it is shameful and wonder how long before the customers seek out other less buggy software. You my friend have been a victim of M/S lack of testing. If you look at their site they kind of try to pass the blame on how you initially installed Windows BUT they don't really get into specifics which makes the BS alarm go off.

Thank you for the info. What I did was uninstall Skype and reinstalled it and I recouped the icon on the taskbar. I also uninstalled WhatsApp and reinstalled but the taskbar showed a blank space (no icon showing) occupied by the App.

So I decided to let go and leave everything as is. However I have one last question. Do I reinstall the latest update please? Thank you for your help anyway.
Just to inform that all of a sdden this morning the Settings icon appeared again on the taskbar exactly a week after disappearing.

Back