• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

KB4474419

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

darkrats

Jan 2, 2015
I have tried many times to install the MS security update KB4474419. The install process always ends with a message that simply says "the update was not installed". I have tried all kinds of different ways to install this update and no luck so far. Has anyone managed to install KB4474419 on their Windows 7 SP1 machine?

I have tried many times to install the MS security update KB4474419. The install process always ends with a message that simply says "the update was not installed". I have tried all kinds of different ways to install this update and no luck so far. Has anyone managed to install KB4474419 on their Windows 7 SP1 machine?
It's happened to me with Win 7. Not sure if it was that exact update but if this is the problem it doesn't matter. Not a bad bit of housecleaning anyway now that Win 7 is EOL and there may still be a pile of updates sitting in the cache. Rather than me parrot something I have read over and over in many places, try this. It usually works but not 100% of the time, maybe 99%.

If this doesn't fix your problem come on back and we can try something else. It's a good place to start like the power button drill on HP laptops with charging problems. Let us know either way.

I went through all the steps without success. I've always thought the problem was related either to Windows Update (which I turned off when I installed the system) or something MS did to mess things up for those of us who still want to continue using Windows 7. If only the error msg would say WHY it didn't install, but all it says it that the KB4474419 did not install.

Okay well let's try something else. Sometimes it's a bizarre permissions game M/S plays. You guessed it, since Win 7 is EOL don't expect M/S to fix it.
Try this: Make sure you are logged in as administrator, download the stand alone version from M/S catalog and run it (as administrator) and see if that works. Evidently it installs fine, the problem is with clean up and permissions needed to do so. Try that and see if it works. How many O/S are you booting from the drive that has Win 7 installed? That has been a problem with this update as well but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Edit:
Just to elaborate I have read that some undisclosed Win 7 set-ups refuse to clean up properly after attempting to install this update and go through the rollback sequence. Many people far more knowledgeable than me have stated this is a bug with the update itself. Since Windows 7 is EOL M/S refuses to address the issue. I remember encountering it on a couple of Win 7 installs post Win 7 EOL and saying to myself, oh well. If it's that big a deal to you move up to Win 10. I haven't done any post Win 7 EOL paid updates to any systems yet. I was not at my computer lab this week but it's on the to do list for next week. I'll report back if I find out anything else.

Last edited:
Back