• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Make older apps or programs compatible with Windows - Microsoft Support

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

There are a few different options you can try if you want to make an older app or program compatible with Windows:

1. Install the app in compatibility mode: You can try running the app in compatibility mode, which can help it run correctly on a newer version of Windows. To do this, right-click on the app's executable file and select "Properties", then go to the "Compatibility" tab and check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box. From the drop-down menu, select the version of Windows that the app was designed for.
  2. Use a virtual machine: If the app is not compatible with your version of Windows, you can try running it in a virtual machine. A virtual machine allows you to run an older version of Windows in a separate window on your current version of Windows. This can allow you to run older apps that are not compatible with your current version of Windows.
  3. Use an emulator: An emulator is a piece of software that allows you to run apps or games designed for one operating system on another. There are several emulators available that can allow you to run older apps or games on a newer version of Windows.
  4. Contact the developer: If none of the above options work, you may be able to get help from the developer of the app or program. They may have a newer version of the app that is compatible with your version of Windows, or they may be able to offer suggestions for getting the app to work on your system.
I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Carlotta Krajcik
Power Platform Consulting

Carlotta thanks for your explanation. Other than DOS programs written a long, long time ago, I can't recall any time I have run into the non-compatibility problem. Now the driver thing, don't get me started. There are already plenty of my rants in my posts here.
Looking at your web site made me smile b/c it kind of reinforces Microsoft's plan for the future. I was referring to in a post here lately that the project really began with the ill-designed Windows 8. Unfortunately that left such a bad taste in users' mouths that they are wary now of any changes to the GUI Microsoft is trying to introduce in Windows.
Anyway welcome to the forum and I am sure you have many things you could share with our community. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Just an add on here but remember one thing. You are dealing with the exact kernel and file system that's been around since XP days. Compatibility is just rules invoked by Microsoft for security and/or to accommodate some cutesy app windows dressing Windows added to their "new" version of the operating system. Well Microsoft you have been promising a new file system and kernel for well over a decade now. You seem happy just throwing patch after security patch and adding "goodies' to stick a new number of you latest and greatest. Granted non-compatible programs may present a security risk but they were written within Microsoft rules when published. Microsoft created the problem, they should provide fixes to allow for older programs to remain secure rather than shutting them down.

Back