• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Malware Ransomware Grandcrab 5.2

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

MagicBoo

Jun 3, 2019
My computer recently became infected with a malware called grandcrab 5.2, it does not bother me to format my computer but I have a portable hard drive that does not want to lose the files, how can I recover my work files

PD. Sorry for my english my language is Spanish

You can recover your images anyway - something I found by accident after taking an 82GB hit from Gandcrab 5.2.

I had Google Backup & Sync running in the background, it identified the newly encrypted files (in my case image_name.jpg.vnveni) as images & uploaded them to Google Photos - where they appeared as images. No shit, Google's servers don't recognise Gandcrab encryption.

I was like WTF? & did intend to research this thing, but was a bit busy batting Gandcrab off from my network, recovering from backup then running extra insurance backups across my clientbase. Then I forgot about it. Until now.

Wow that's some great news! Go figure. I would have never guessed. I wonder what processing google does to retrieve the images? I have to admit I have yet to a system with that infection yet.
Thanks for the info Megabyte. Heard it here first.

GOOD NEWS!
A decrypter for GandCrab V 5.2 has been released.

GOOD NEWS!
A decrypter for GandCrab V 5.2 has been released.

Thanks for your post, i just saw it now. Good news :)

Please ignore all of tolikkk's posts and do not follow any links provided.

Back