• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Mapped Drive out of Storage

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

zubbs1

Jun 9, 2022
I have an Ubuntu server box with a 12 TB raid array. On a separate computer running Windows 10, on the same network, I mapped the drive for a home media server and file backup. When trying to copy files onto a folder in the mapped drive, it says I don't have enough storage. When viewing from Ubuntu, it says I have over 600GB free, but on Windows says it only has 11GB.
Why is it doing this, and can I fix it?
Appreciate any help sorting this out.
Cheers.

Well may be your system have too many junk and unwanted file which can be the cause of this issue so I will suggest to delete some unwanted files and software.

If doing what @Gtip suggested doesn't work and you have the storage space on another drive. Move everything off that drive and format it then put the files you want back on it. That's if having a raid array will let you do that. Raid is not something I'm real familiar with but I do remember reading you have to have empty drives when setting it up before installing the OS. So IDK if formatting a drive would cause a conflict.

If doing what @Gtip suggested doesn't work and you have the storage space on another drive. Move everything off that drive and format it then put the files you want back on it. That's if having a raid array will let you do that. Raid is not something I'm real familiar with but I do remember reading you have to have empty drives when setting it up before installing the OS. So IDK if formatting a drive would cause a conflict.
That's exactly right. Raid is a funny thing. You haven't really given details on how your array is configured but be aware Windows can tend to look at an array when it's not a Windows based controller. I had to fool around with my Linux based NAS to get exactly what I wanted to see in Windows. Things get really screwy sometimes when you redefine arrays when the drives are already populated.
I was fortunate that I had some hefty USB storage to off load the NAS on to, blank the drives (I think I used Darrick's NAB out of habit) and started fresh. Such is life. Seems like the Windows kernal and everything else Unix (Apple, Linux, Ubuntu, etc.) don't necessarily like talking to each other.

Back