• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

My iCloud Photos installation is on crack

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

WonderWoman

Jan 22, 2016
Hello,

I hit up Apple support with this one and they brushed me off/passed the buck with a "contact Microsoft because it's on Windows" type of unacceptable answer.

I use the iCloud control panel on my Win10 Pro laptop because I have a 6th gen iPad and an iPhone 8+ and additionally use Outlook (full program) for my email and calendar between the three devices.

That being said, I have an entry on my Windows for iCloud Drive with iCloud Photos. In my particular case the installation has gone wonky and left me with an installation that is like iCloud with iCloud Photos on crack. Here's what I mean:

iCloud Photos On Crack.jpg

All of those entries point to the same exact folder. All the folders indicate they are empty except for the first entry which goes to the correct functional folder. I cannot delete any of the "ghost folders on crack" and when I right click on the "desktop" icon which is NOT the normal correct Windows User's Desktop folder (it too is also a phantom on crack) the control panel for the Windows Desktop opens and I cannot delete that item either. The delete button does nothing and right click doesn't offer a delete command and the delete at the top of the window as you can see is grayed out and inaccessible.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled iCloud a few times and even made certain I have the most recent version. I cannot come up with anything else myself to troubleshoot and fix this problem. It is driving me nutz. Has anyone seen this before and if yes, have you been able to fix it and how did you fix it?

All help appreciated.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

You have now learned the first rule of Apple Geniuses, "If there is any non Apple hardware or software involved in the problem whatsoever, blame it on the problem and dismiss the customer". Apple is a hardware company, if you haven't purchased all your hardware from Apple, you denied them a profit and then too bad for you.

Hello,

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this and I already knew it. There have been instances however that some of the Apple support representatives have extended themselves to help with things involving their software on windows environments. As I probably mentioned I have been a helpdesk technician in the corporate environment for 25 years and I can tell you it is hit or miss as to whether or not the support rep you randomly get on a phone call or on a chat conversation will be equipped to help with any given situation. I find this acceptable only because I know that no one person knows everything and everyone has random experiences with different problems that they wind up having come across their path in life.

that being said I still have the same problem and haven’t heard any replies with any suggestions technologically but I only just posted this issue on Valentine’s Day I tend to think there’s a lot of people that have other things on their mind today!

OK with that out of the way, here's my guess. iCloud photo stream is a ghosting program for enrolled devices, it is not a cloud based storage per se with full read and write privileges'. Somehow thru the setting you have created a feedback loop between the camera roll folders on the member devices. Try this:

Camera Roll backup options can be disabled by going to go to Settings, iCloud, Storage & Backup and Manage Storage. Select the device and turn off Camera Roll backup.

If enabled, backup occurs automatically when the device is synced with iTunes, or when it’s put on charge and connected to Wi-Fi.

EDIT:
Here's the entire story:

Back