• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Never A Dull Moment. Ideas?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
Well I am setting up a laptop for my boss. Turns out there was a fire at his condo and he and his wife had to move into long-term temporary suites. He told me today to set up a laptop so he could receive emails from 2 accounts as he and his wife are moving to the shore for the entire summer. He also wanted to take a look at the accounting program from time to time. Now being there are 2 companies and 2 networks is a real problem. I set up the main network so no problem. Now the other network is very old, way before my time. It runs a database program in DOS, that's right so that system is still Win 7. That part of the company is going away so it's not worth the bother to upgrade any more. I was fighting with my former boss (R.I.P.) to upgrade for 15 years but never happened. It's a logistical and security nightmare. The guy who designed it still consults for maintenance, I refuse to touch it.
So my boss is an old guy, not computer savvy at all. That's my job in the company. I don't want him to really be able to do much beyond reading and answering emails it's asking for trouble.
Here's what I have come up with so far. I don't know if any of you have tried Chrome remote desktop. It's pretty simple and straightforward, doesn't allow easy file transfer you have to use Google Drive. I am thinking just keep everything within my network which includes forwarding emails from the Frankenstein network (very low volume) and keeping them local. Otherwise I would have to set up a POP3 account. Why I don't want to do that is some of his friends communicate with that email. He is constantly bombarded with virus laden emails and messes up the network one way or another every 60 days or so. Lately his email account was being used by spammers and the host was shutting down the email regularly b/c of volume. Isolating that account at the office is a much better idea keeping that in mind. In addition, if anything does go wrong at his shore house I am looking at a 200 mile round-trip to fix it.
So never a dull moment. Does anyone else have any better ideas? Mind you I don't mind complicated at the office but the remote at the shore must be super simple or it will be rejected.

Well I am setting up a laptop for my boss. Turns out there was a fire at his condo and he and his wife had to move into long-term temporary suites. He told me today to set up a laptop so he could receive emails from 2 accounts as he and his wife are moving to the shore for the entire summer. He also wanted to take a look at the accounting program from time to time. Now being there are 2 companies and 2 networks is a real problem. I set up the main network so no problem. Now the other network is very old, way before my time. It runs a database program in DOS, that's right so that system is still Win 7. That part of the company is going away so it's not worth the bother to upgrade any more. I was fighting with my former boss (R.I.P.) to upgrade for 15 years but never happened. It's a logistical and security nightmare. The guy who designed it still consults for maintenance, I refuse to touch it.
So my boss is an old guy, not computer savvy at all. That's my job in the company. I don't want him to really be able to do much beyond reading and answering emails it's asking for trouble.
Here's what I have come up with so far. I don't know if any of you have tried Chrome remote desktop. It's pretty simple and straightforward, doesn't allow easy file transfer you have to use Google Drive. I am thinking just keep everything within my network which includes forwarding emails from the Frankenstein network (very low volume) and keeping them local. Otherwise I would have to set up a POP3 account. Why I don't want to do that is some of his friends communicate with that email. He is constantly bombarded with virus laden emails and messes up the network one way or another every 60 days or so. Lately his email account was being used by spammers and the host was shutting down the email regularly b/c of volume. Isolating that account at the office is a much better idea keeping that in mind. In addition, if anything does go wrong at his shore house I am looking at a 200 mile round-trip to fix it.
So never a dull moment. Does anyone else have any better ideas? Mind you I don't mind complicated at the office but the remote at the shore must be super simple or it will be rejected.

Well, if email storage is a problem, then go for POP3. I did same for my boss, he receive alot of emails, so all emails are saved in Microsoft Outlook 2016.

i have an email that has spam, it won't go away; i had like 1000 backed up that i was going to mark as spam one day
I used iMacros or something like it, forgot name, to run a mouse macro that just clicked the mark as spam button in outlook.com. The problem is it opens a dropdown and you have to select spam or phish or something else maybe. So if you select spam it then deletes the email, so easy, click once, drop down click spam. Repeat.
So, it ran for 500 times and then stopped. I guess 500 was the soft cap. So I ran it again. Oh, it was outlook.com that had the soft cap. It appeared to be done. But when i hit refresh there was another 500.
So after all that the damn emails just came right back, g thanks outlook. I've tried unsubscribing before. Got tired of it and it didn't work. They don't care. But apparently neither does outlook.com, or live.com or hotmail.com, etc.
The answer is you just don't use the email again. Send an email to all your friends at once giving them your new email address. It's like changing your phone number. No big deal.

Back