• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

photo.scr virus

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
Very odd virus. From the description, "The Photo.scr Miner is a Trojan that utilizes a victim's computer processing power to mine the digital currency called Monero"
Now where I found it was odd. It's a USB drive that I use to archive to really old TV series. Now I did hook it up to my router for the hell of it, being that there is nothing sensitive on it. So I haven't even looked at that drive for a while and haven't moved any data to it in ages. So Saturday I was checking out a new LAN management program and took a look at the drive. In each primary folder that was in the root directory was a copy of that virus. It gets more bizarre that most of the copies had a date of September 2022, except one which had the current date on it. Huh. So of course I ran every security scan under the sun on all my drives. Other than the usual noise about KMS, none of the security programs found anything. Basically everything has to clear Kaspersky or Webroot before it is stored on my system, In this case I also ran rkill, malwarebytes, and hitman pro and came up with ziltch (well OK, a patch for another program that has been vetted.) No more copies of this virus were in my systems or NAS, so go figure.
This was just weird as all get out and I am wondering how that found it's way in. It never ran, so it was benign. (Enter sarcasm mode) Kind of renews my faith in cryptocurrency, with the FTX fun and games. I just hope no one here got caught up in that FTX mess.

Back