• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Polly Want A Cracker!

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

StoneOld

Jun 29, 2023
Hello,

My name is Mike, and I joined this forum because I saw on one of the inclusions with some software I acquired that this site took "Requests."

I have an abandonware program that I bought, is registered, and I have the serial number for, but the servers no longer exist. So I can't use it anymore. And I want to.

So I joined this forum so I could make that request, and I'll donate $50 to this site, or pay any individual the same sum for successfully removing the online activation from this program.

Last edited:
Is that the name of the software? If you have a legit license shouldn't really be that difficult. You have to server side validation every time you fire it up? That sucks and kind of overkill. Almost worth tracking the author down and saying WTF? I'll be happy to take a look, might need a copy of the program tho.

No, is just my idea for a clever title.

The software is called StickyNote v9.0, made by Tenebril Software, now defunct, thus the validation servers no longer exist.

You only have to enter the serial number and validate the software once on installation, then it will work forever.

I know there's lots of "sticky note" programs out there, but this one beats them all hands down for the simple reason that you can attach a note to any window, and that note will only become visible when that window is active and has focus. It's also network aware, so that anyone with this program installed can send a note to the desktop of anyone else who has it installed. It's better than any sticky note program I've ever seen since, thus my desire to get it working.

I have the installer packed up in a zip file with the text file with the serial number, ready to go, I just need someone who can take a "crack" at it. (See what I did there?)

Last edited:
Wut?

You can actually download the original installer from that site, though you have to get through a couple of fluff pages first.

Once installed, you get a dialog saying your Trial is up, and there are Purchase and Unlock buttons. The Continue Trial button is greyed out. It doesn't matter what you enter to "Unlock," you will get a message saying "Order not found in database." That's because the database no longer exists, and if you want to Purchase, you get a Digital River 404.

This is why I am here.

I did this in the past long ago for shareware I created A BATCH FILE that would open and ask for the install state the install date example

@Echo off
cls
@Echo The expire or date installed is 1/1/1990
@date here we would input the 1/1/1990
cls
@run app
cls
@Echo What is today date ENTER TODAYS DATE
@Date here we enter todays date
cls

This would make the program run from the original install date each time we run it and trial never ends.

:)

Last edited:
It appears this program was more popular in Asia. It's prudy darn old. The author was a pretty advanced commercial programmer, probably retired by now. There is a reg file crack around so it can be beaten. I don't have the time to reverse engineer the program but rest assured the reg file crack exists, it may only apply to the portable version. I was reading Vietnamese and Japanese web sites. You might want to scour the Internet Archives. It's out there, if it's that important keep looking.

OK check this out. I strained my upper back yesterday hauling an air compressor up and down the basement stairs yesterday so I have some downtime. I have attached a perfectly legal torrent link that Tenebril provided to Tucows before they closed their doors.
I think you will find out it's calling to a different location than the other versions out there that aren't working calling home to tenebril.com for validation.
Funny thing the validation link calls to 104.247.81.54 which resolves to Next Dimension Inc. a security software company in Canada where Christian Carrillo StickyNotes author and Tenedril Software's owner resides. Tenedril had some interesting programs but was VC funded and they must have run out of cash.
So try this Torrent link attached (Note: Completely legal from Tucows) and try to register it that way. I can't believe Christian would close the doors and leave everybody hanging like that.

Attachments

• tucows_217778_StickyNote_archive.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 4
OK check this out. I strained my upper back yesterday hauling an air compressor up and down the basement stairs yesterday so I have some downtime. I have attached a perfectly legal torrent link that Tenebril provided to Tucows before they closed their doors.
I think you will find out it's calling to a different location than the other versions out there that aren't working calling home to tenebril.com for validation.
Funny thing the validation link calls to 104.247.81.54 which resolves to Next Dimension Inc. a security software company in Canada where Christian Carrillo StickyNotes author and Tenedril Software's owner resides. Tenedril had some interesting programs but was VC funded and they must have run out of cash.
So try this Torrent link attached (Note: Completely legal from Tucows) and try to register it that way. I can't believe Christian would close the doors and leave everybody hanging like that.
Good work :)

Well, for a moment, I had hope.

Unfortunately, this version behaves identically to the other one.

Although it did want to install an older version of archlib.dll.

It still asks for valid order number starting with "ST," and it still asks for a valid email address. Once both of these are entered, it will say it can't find my order in the database, and when I click the Purchase button, this time, I got a page that wants to sell me the Tenebril domain.

So I think this installer is just an earlier version of StickyNotes. The installer I have is 4.602 MB and has a digital signature, while the one I just downloaded is 4.576 MB and has no digital signature. That may be the discrepancy in size.

So the offer still stands, and I'll up the ante. $50 to the site, plus $50 to any member or visitor of the site that can crack this program.

Sorry that didn't work out for you. Nobody here better be looking for money, we do it for fun and props. Once money changes hands it becomes a criminal act, This is a hobby board not a criminal hang out. No offense taken so now you know.
I think it stinks you paid for a license for a program that relies server side validation which is no longer available. I'll keep looking around for the reg file. Now that you have two different versions of the program and legitimate credentials you have a great jumping off point if you want to try cracking Your program. If AFFASocial has found a solution well good for you and props to him. Either way hang around here and enjoy yourself. Thumper could always use a few bucks to pay the hosting bill but that's entirely up to you and optional.

Okay sorry guys, I didn't consider the pay for service problem.

In any case, if any of you is good with a hex editor, you might be able to fix this thing, and if that happens, I will be highly motivated to help Thumper keep the site open for all by making a donation to help pay hosting fees.

I tried to upload the file here, but it's too big for the system. If somebody has an email address or another way I can get it to you, let me know.

Alternatively, you can download the installer from this address:
https://stickynote.soft32.com/

And use my registration information, attached, to work with it.

Attachments

• StickyNote 9.0 Registration Details.txt
    99 bytes · Views: 2
This reminded me of the good ole dayz scouring crack sites. None of my old URLs work.
I tried Date Cracker 2000 on it, which sometimes can trick a program into thinking it is days ago so your trial doesn't expire. Didn't work, StickyNotes is still counting down. If anything improves or it somehow keeps on going past the 15 days, will update this.

In the meanwhile if you want to play around with Date Cracker, they went out of biz but you can get a copy here on archive.org

Back