• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Power outage during OS installation (Win 11)

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Freexe

Jul 19, 2023
Hi Team,

I've a hp Model 15g-dr0006tx laptop which supports TPM+Secureboot. It was running on Win10 Home-single-lang edition via UEFI (nvme). I tried to install win11 pro with clean installation
During the installation forgot to plug adapter to power supply & it shut down, as it was on battery power around < 50%. Now if I try to install OS again on NVMe/HDD it's turns off after some x%. Can it cause any issues?
The NVMe drive is accessible though after installation on HDD & vice-versa
SYS CONFIG:
i5 8th gen, NVMe: 256, HDD: 1TB, Ram 8 GB, 2GB Geforce Graphics MX140, (RAM, HDD, NVME, wifi, graphics tested & are OK)

WeirdBug: Sys Model Changed after OS installation

1). Prior to clean installation, it was showing Win11 compatible. But after installation its showing "System doesn't meet win11 requirements". If I go again for new installation.
2). Some how managed to install OS, now instead of 15g-dr0006tx my sys Model or Product Name is shown as "InsydeH20 EFI Bios"
3). Bios Ver & Date: F.41, 19-04-2022, tried to install BIOS again but no change in the behaviour.
4). tpm.msc shows compatible Tpm can't be found on this computer
5). Checked everything like Restore to factory settings, Bios: UEFI, SecureBoot: Enabled, PCR7 config: Binding not possible,
UEFI device config: Intel R rapid storage Tech > Raid driver: RST 16.8.0.4507
NON-RAID physical disk: shows my HDD.
6). Secure boot: Enabled, Legacy support: Disabled
7). Now it shuts down automatically after some time.
8). Also, on any app installation it also shuts down automatically.
9). Sometime it turns on by hitting power button , but some time it's a pain in ass. It goes off again while still booting.

What's is the fix here?......

Bypass the entire compatibilty check. Grab a copy of Rufus and follow their instruction for creating a bootable install that bypasses what's giving you trouble. That's what I would do. I understand that you believe you have an eligable Win 11 system. You should also see if HP has an OEM upgrade copy of Win 11 for your system, that would be the cleanest easiest solution if it's available. I would reset your BIOS back to defaults while you are at it. The BIOS shouldn't require any tinkering with if it's a true Win 11 compatible system.

Hi,

I've performed the very first OS installation with rufus & attempted subsequent as well, but due battery power outage in the midway or less. Something is not right/ is broken, I don't know for sure what its, which is why I described its behavior now.

What damage the battery power outage could have possibly caused, during the installation.

Thanks!

Do what @DVDR_Dog said but reformat your drive before installing.

I followed the very same approach for the first & subsequent installations ( formatting, clearing drive, clean installation with rufus) for win11 & same is the case with win10 as well.

I guess something went wrong during the first power irrupted OS installation, something is broken. It shuts down if I install any OS or any app software. It also shuts down during booting/ running / idle on its own. What caused it to change SysModel , BIOS, incompatible win11 now, I'm not sure. Auto shutdown is driving me nuts.

What is the next step now, how to proceed further.

I followed the very same approach for the first & subsequent installations ( formatting, clearing drive, clean installation with rufus) for win11 & same is the case with win10 as well.

I guess something went wrong during the first power irrupted OS installation, something is broken. It shuts down if I install any OS or any app software. It also shuts down during booting/ running / idle on its own. What caused it to change SysModel , BIOS, incompatible win11 now, I'm not sure. Auto shutdown is driving me nuts.

What is the next step now, how to proceed further.
If you haven't already I'd update the BIOS. That should fix any issues if the BIOS was corrupted.

I've tried both BIOS update post installation & within bootable pen drive itself during the installation, but there's no change in the behavior.
Came across something "BIOS need to be built/build manually, don't know how....

I've tried both BIOS update post installation & within bootable pen drive itself during the installation, but there's no change in the behavior.
Came across something "BIOS need to be built/build manually, don't know how....
Unless you've got an unusual setup you should be fine with the BIOS default settings.

Setting reset to default as well, no luck there.
Did you actually update or reinstall the BIOS? It could also be the battery. Sometimes laptop batteries can cause shutdowns even if the laptop is plugged in. You could also try doing a hard reset. It will drain all the power from the system before restarting.

Yes, I did. Hard reset was also performed & the battery I bought is new.

Yes, I did. Hard reset was also performed & the battery I bought is new.
You should run a memory test. I don't think you can do it from installation media but if you put Medicat USB on a stick you will have a huge amount of boot and diagnostic tools at your disposal. Medicat saved my PC one time. I had downloaded a RAM Disk app that was cracked and when I fired it up it really did a number on my machine. For started it destroyed two Sticks of my RAM but it did some deep damage to my BIOS as well. This left me unable to boot my PC even from installation media. But after many attempts, Medicat was able to get my UEFI back in a state where I could reinstall Windows. It's free. I'd try it. You'll need at least a 32GB USB flash stick.

Back