• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Safe to delete Apps.ppkg?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

scherz0

Jul 4, 2021
The following's copied and pasted from https://superuser.com/q/1659902.
―――――
I must reduce HD disk space. How safe is deleting Apps.ppkg? Its size is 3.6 GB. I use Windows 10. I must double check because another program file usmt.ppkg MUST NOT be deleted.

I read this abstruse explanation of Apps.ppkg, but I don't understand it.

It doesn't clearly advise if deleting is safe. In actuality, the last sentence suggests that deletion ISN'T safe — because if deleting is safe, why would you need make "a backup of the file on external storage"???

It's a file created by Dell which basically has all the provisioning data for your Dell with Windows 10. I wouldn't get rid of it but you don't need it for the system to work properly. If you were to do a Dell factory restore (from Dell not Microsoft) it would possibly come in handy, otherwise it's not needed for day to day use. Put it in the cloud or off load it to an external drive for safekeeping but even if you lose it, no big deal
To answer your question, back Apps.ppkg up then you can delete it from your system's O/S drive.

Latest posts

Back