• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Security Center alert on every startup - Windows XP SP2

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Shaggy

VIP
Nov 7, 2010
Security Center alert on every startup - Windows XP SP2

EIhsB.jpg

The Security Center in Windows XP SP2 verifies the security settings of your computer

(checks the status of anti-virus software installed, and the definitions; whether a

third-party firewall is installed or not). If the Security Center does not find a

firewall or anti-virus installed, it sends an alert via the Notification area. This is

to inform that the system security is at risk without a firewall or an anti-virus

program. Note that the Security Center can detect only a specific set of anti-virus

and firewall products/brands. In case you're running a firewall and anti-virus program

which the Security Center does not identify, it continues to alert the user on every

startup.

To turn off these alerts, try this:
Disable monitoring

Do this if you have a good firewall program and anti-virus with the latest definitions

installed.

Open the Security Center ( Type WSCUI.CPL in the Start, RUN box )
In the Security Center, under Firewall, click Recommendations. In the

Recommendations dialog box, select the I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor

myself check box, and then click OK.

Disable notifications

In some configurations, the above setting does not stick and the Security Center keeps

sending the alert again. If that does not work, try this:

Click Change the way Security Center alerts me. Clear the check boxes beside the items

for which you don't want to receive alerts, and then click OK.
To accomplish this via the registry

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Security Center

Backup the key by exporting this to a REG file. See here for more information
In the right-pane, set AntiVirusDisableNotify (REG_DWORD) and set to 1
Similarly, set FirewallDisableNotify (REG_DWORD) and set to 1
Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

NOTE: If you choose the checkbox I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself

and the similar option for Anti-virus monitoring, both the values AntiVirusOverride &

FirewallOverride are set to 1. For more information on the above two registry values,

see: Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

Back