• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Truly Encrypted Messaging - Cryptic Message

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

F

Fullyworked

I used to use WhatsApp to send encrypted message until I found out that WhatsApp and other similar apps can now be forced into decrypting your messages.
This prompted my to create my own app. Cryptic Message is an app that is used purely to encrypt and decrypt messages. And since you create the passwords for encrypting and decrypting the messages, there is no way for the developer (me) to get forced into decrypting the messages (because I can't). Cryptic Message doesn't have all the bells and whistles like WhatsApp. It's purely to encode and decode messages and nothing more.

No data is sent or stored by Cryptic Message.
All passwords used to encrypt and decrypt messages are created by you and not stored anywhere, including on your device, unless you store it yourself (If you forget a password, good luck decrypting the message).
Cryptic Message uses 256 AES encryption and is free to use. I made it originally as a Windows Store App, then further developed it for a range of devices. See the links before:
Let me know what you think?

Windows Store App

Windows Desktop (Portable app)

Website Service

Android App

iOS App

I am using Telegram too, works pretty good.
Not taking away anything from Telegram or WhatsApp or anything similar. Just didn't like that encrypted messages can be decrypted. It kind of defeats the purpose of having encrypted messages in the first place. Plus Cryptic Message isn't the same kind of app as WhatsApp or Telegram. They use they own encryption, where as Cryptic Message lets you determine the encryption. I think the term encrypted messaging can be used very loosely and give people the impression that it will always be private, when it might not be the case.

Didn't know about Telegram, but it is the similar to WhatsApp and others, where they can be forced to decrypt messages. This is from the Telegram website: https://telegram.org/faq#q-do-you-process-data-requests
They state that they can be forced, but they haven't yet to date.

Telegram got almost all of there servers blocked in Russia and they didn't gave away the keys. Lots of services like file hosting services use telegram as a 2FA (Two-factor Authentication). Also is possible to create bots and there is all sort of bots.

Telegram got almost all of there servers blocked in Russia and they didn't gave away the keys. Lots of services like file hosting services use telegram as a 2FA (Two-factor Authentication). Also is possible to create bots and there is all sort of bots.
I understand, but the link provided from the Telegram website clearly states that decryption can be done.
Don't get me wrong, Telegram looks great after looking into it further.
Cryptic Message is a lot simpler and puts the responsibility on the user. There is no way messages can be decrypted without the user providing the password.

Not sure what Jamber is. There's so many products/apps out there. Just thought I'd share an app that can't be force to decrypt messages.

I used to use WhatsApp to send encrypted message until I found out that WhatsApp and other similar apps can now be forced into decrypting your messages.
This prompted my to create my own app. Cryptic Message is an app that is used purely to encrypt and decrypt messages. And since you create the passwords for encrypting and decrypting the messages, there is no way for the developer (me) to get forced into decrypting the messages (because I can't). Cryptic Message doesn't have all the bells and whistles like WhatsApp. It's purely to encode and decode messages and nothing more.

No data is sent or stored by Cryptic Message.
All passwords used to encrypt and decrypt messages are created by you and not stored anywhere, including on your device, unless you store it yourself (If you forget a password, good luck decrypting the message).
Cryptic Message uses 256 AES encryption and is free to use. I made it originally as a Windows Store App, then further developed it for a range of devices. See the links before:
Let me know what you think?

Windows Store App

Windows Desktop (Portable app)

Website Service

Android App

iOS App
Nice work. Impressive that you ported it across all those platforms. You're a better person than I am.

Back