• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

What is VMWare???

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate07

Aug 18, 2010
vmware is a program in which you can install and run another operating system while your main operating system is still running. It is a great way to A. test out an Operating System before you physically install it on your computer, B. Test out programs to see if they work or are virus infected. Because a Virtual Machine is installed on a virtual disk (a part of your hard drive separate from your Real OS) So if it gets messed up it doesn't effect you current OS at all.

I use vmware all the time for the reasons i just mentioned. However a lot of business are now beginning to run many of there servers virtualized using vmware. Saves the business a lot of money not having to physically buy each server they want to run.

Now keep in mind that your PC needs to have a decent amount of RAM (2-3 GBs minimum) and a dual core processor is best. Otherwise it just slows your PC down to where you can barley use it.

My PC Specs
1 - 1TB HDD
1 - 500GB HDD
3 GB RAM
AMD Athlon x2 2.90 GHz Processor
GFX: ATI HD Radeon 4650 w/1GB RAM

I don't have an issue running any virtual machine. the main thing is you don't want to take too much RAM away from your main OS. especailly if your just using it for testing purposes. When i install Windows 7 in a virtual machine i just give it 1GB of RAM. It doesn't run the fastest, but is enough to do what i need to do without drastically slowing down your PC. If you install XP in a virtual machine 512mb of RAM is more than enough :) Same goes for pretty much any Linux OS, 512mb of RAM is efficient.

Hope this clears things up for you. if you need further explanation please let me know

blueye89 said:
Thank you my friend.Now I understand that VMWare is a powerfull software.
I have 4GB of RAM and 500 GB on HD.Probably,I will never have a problem with low memory performance. :)
I downloaded: http://h33t.com/details.php?id=a34c577e7e1e8252185bb38171d17efa9efce070&hl=%2BVMWare

You are the best adviser on the forum. :thumbup:

"If you know your possibility,and if you know possibility of your enemy-your victory is guaranteed"

Thanks bro. and yeah you shouldn't have an issue running any OS in a virtual machine with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD :D

One more thing that can be very useful for you. Most of the time VMware will do this automatically after the OS install, but make sure you install "VMware Tools." This will allow you to copy and paste files from your Main OS to your Virtual Machine, very handy for any programs that you want to install in the VM. Also with vmware tools installed your mouse will not get captured inside the virtual os. and if this does happen (your mouse gets locked in the VM) just press Ctrl+Alt and it will unlock your mouse from the VM.

I hope you understand all of this, you seem like a bright individual so i am sure you do :) Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have, i will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back