• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows 10 installer has no edition selection before installation?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

adelossantos

Jun 18, 2020
Hi,

I downloaded this iso Windows 10 untouched and it says in the description that the same iso contains other editions.
When I try to use it, there's no selection screen on what edition to install.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I downloaded this iso and it says in the description that the same iso contains other editions.
When I try to use it, there's no selection screen on what edition to install.

Thanks!
Windows 8 or newer originally installed? Your download is an untouched ISO so the install is doing exactly what is supposed to do. It's looking for the key in the BIOS where it already exists and that key also designates what edition it legitimately installs.
Me? I'd go with the legal copy every time. That avoids all kinds of problems when troubleshooting other software. I would also just go to M/S and download the v.2004 ISO to avoid all those pesky updates and forget the torrents.
If you have to have another edition you are going to have to find a diddled ISO version or a Windows 7 key to enter during install for the version you want.
Microsoft's rules, not ours.
This download is for system builders, etc not OEMs

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you are trying to load a system that came from the manufacturer with windows 8, 8.1 or 10 Home Edition already installed. It doesn't matter that you wiped the hard drive or even replaced the HD. The info (or key) that Windows is looking for is hard coded in the BIOS.
Do you understand that you have one of two choices when installing Windows 10?
1. You can choose "I don't have a key". Windows will look into the BIOS to see if a key exists there. You used to have the option of choosing the version of Windows there is little value at that point, that is no longer available with current Windows 10 versions if a key exists in the BIOS. I know of no work-around.
2. Get a Windows 7 OEM key of the version you desire and enter it in a choose "I have a key".

That's my story. I don't know if any of the current cracks can change the Windows 10 version once installed. The only hope is if you can find an Windows 10 Pro OEM royalty key install disk but I don't know if M/S still allows royalty keys anymore.

Not sure what the big deal is. It appears you have a Home Edition key in your BIOS and would like the Pro Edition. Unless you are on a domain there is little value of Pro to you. I have had customers that just thought it was cooler to have a Pro version but couldn't give me one reason why they needed Pro. Just saying.

so what happens when you proceed with the installation? does it install 'home' version of windows 10?
Does it say 'activated' when you look at the system properties? (bottom of the window) or i guess just type 'activation settings' after pressing the windows key
Edition - Windows 10 Home
Activation - Windows is activated ...

mine is the retail version so it has a lifetime license, for like $115 i think at the time; i feel it is worth it
such a headache with the so-called 'clean' versions like you describe

either buy it direct from microsoft or download it direct from microsoft (you can keep reinstalling it every 30 days i think, lol)

If the computer is OEM it should have a sticker on it somewhere with a key code. Download that version and install it using the code. Or is it a whitebox?

I suggest that you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicwindows10

Press the Download Tool now to get the MediaCreationTool2004.exe (current file name)

Use the tool to download the ISO (Optionally download it within the Windows Sandbox for a clear environment)
Then use a tool like Rufus or Ventoy to create a bootable USB drive.

This way you ll get the option to install Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Education editions.

My suggestion is to install Windows 10 Education, even if you don't have an activation key, for the extra features and the least telemetry. I use it myself without activation and works just fine, really happy with it.

Just make sure to make a local account (don't connect to internet while installing) and opt-out from all the telemetry at setup.

I suggest that you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicwindows10

Press the Download Tool now to get the MediaCreationTool2004.exe (current file name)

Use the tool to download the ISO (Optionally download it within the Windows Sandbox for a clear environment)
Then use a tool like Rufus or Ventoy to create a bootable USB drive.

This way you ll get the option to install Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Education editions.

My suggestion is to install Windows 10 Education, even if you don't have an activation key, for the extra features and the least telemetry. I use it myself without activation and works just fine, really happy with it.

Just make sure to make a local account (don't connect to internet while installing) and opt-out from all the telemetry at setup.

Thank you!

Holy crap! I was playing around with a couple of systems today, trying to find the perfect NAS/Personal cloud software/system and I ran into a program that requires Win 10 Pro. There are work-arounds if you have home edition installed but that's not what I was looking for. So my options are few since M/S switched to "digital entitlement" and quite frankly I haven't seen a Win 10 Pro key printed yet. I could probably lift one off another system but again that's not what I was looking for.

So the system I am using as a test bed had Win 10 Home installed when it left the factory, so the key is sitting in the BIOS. So as I was saying earlier, it's darn near impossible to try and enter a pro key when you are loading Win 10, you are never offered an opportunity to do so. So that leaves you with the only option M/S gives you which is install the home version, after you set everything up, replace the embedded home key with a Win 10 Pro key and things should change. Well I didn't have any luck since I don't have the Pro digital entitlement key. From what I read, not sure that works. Didn't for Wonder Woman if you recall.
So my clever mind comes up with hey install Win 7 Pro and upgrade it that way. Normally I would just install Win 10 Pro using the Win 7 Pro key but see above.
So I keep a bunch of OEM keys sitting around just in case. Load up Win 7 punch in key and it's all good.... That is until I try to authenticate it. No bueno. WTF? I am about 99% sure this key has never been used. It came off a machine that had a factory image so the key was never invoked. So I'm wondering if M/S peeks into the BIOS and disallows OEM keys if something is present that conflicts or whatever. I will grab some more keys tomorrow to confirm this.
Never a dull moment and sometimes things don't work out like you expect them to.

I am finally done with Ubuntu server. In my estimation it's a joke. If you want to join the gang and chat it up I suspect you might be able to keep up with all the twists and turns it makes. The documentation is a complete joke, full of typos and errors, many fatal. That's how they draw you into the club. I suppose I will be smart and learn a mature paid edition of Linux next time. I have learned my lesson. Ubuntu desktop has a GUI so it's not so bad I suspect, just forget the server edition unless you wish to devote your life to it.

Back