• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows Update completely broken

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

dahmuno

Apr 11, 2020
I'm at a loss here.. I've tried everything I can find, but maybe someone here had the same issue and fixed it..
My windows update has been broken for around 6 months.
I've tried everything from the specific troubleshooters to repairing the windows install image.
Troubleshooting told me it was an issue with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), once.
I'll attach a screenshot of the error it shows.

I truly appreciate any help

Attachments

• WIN-Update-Problem.jpg
    WIN-Update-Problem.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5
I'm at a loss here.. I've tried everything I can find, but maybe someone here had the same issue and fixed it..
My windows update has been broken for around 6 months.
I've tried everything from the specific troubleshooters to repairing the windows install image.
Troubleshooting told me it was an issue with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), once.
I'll attach a screenshot of the error it shows.

I truly appreciate any help

How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 11​

If you are a Windows 11 user, follow the steps below to run Windows Update Troubleshooter to resolve errors while downloading and installing Windows updates.

Step 1. Go to "Start > Settings > Update & Security".

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 11 - 1

Step 2. Select "Troubleshoot" and choose "Additional troubleshooters".

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 11 - 2

Step 3. Under the Get up and running section, select "Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter".

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 11 - 3

Then, Windows 11 Update Troubleshooter will automatically detect Windows 11 update issues and repair Windows 11 errors. When the troubleshooter is finished running, close the window and restart your PC.

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 11 - 4

How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10​

There's a little bit different if you are a Windows 10 user. To run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10, follow the steps below.

Step 1. Select "Start > Settings > Windows Update".

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10 - 1

Step 2. Go to "Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters".

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10 - 2

Step 3. Then, select "Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter" under Get up and running.

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10 - 3

Step 4. Windows Update Troubleshooter will detect the update problems automatically. Wait patiently during the process.

run Windows Update Troubleshooter on Windows 10 - 4

If the problems aren't resolved, repeat the steps to rerun the troubleshooter. Or, turn to Windows repair service to resolve your issues.

I had already tried every.. single.. option for fixing my broken Windows Update before posting here, as I stated in the original post..
Even 3rd party tools like the "Windows Update reset tool" (a command prompt based tool which performs every possible solution for you) couldn't fix the issue.. I tried it yesterday, which led to learning about the 22h2 update even existing.

I just manually updated to 22h2 Win10, and I'm happy to report this 100% fixed my Windows Update when nothing else could (beside possibly a full reinstall).
Hopefully this can help someone else who's stuck with broken Windows Update! They'll need to be on an earlier version of Windows - 21h2, 20h2, etc..

Back