• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows Update Service - how to disable?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

I'm constantly using this tools on my computer and didn't got any major issues. IFEO only adds a registry key that blocks exes...

IFEO Tool - Block Exe
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

Add the value example:
rundll32.exe

Add null example
Debugger
ntsd -d

Firewall Blocker for Windows V3 - ADD Rule
Code:
netsh.exe advfirewall firewall add rule name="rundll32" dir=out action=block protocol=any program="rundll32.exe"

Firewall Blocker for Windows V3 - Remove Rule
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="rundll32"

With the tools is more easy to add/remove entries...

If you want to block effectively Windows Update i advice to install K9 Web Protector and block ms urls.
Well, that won't really help, you can do this also over Registry, just to add invalid sites.
But your services, all around the Windows Update thingi, they are still there and they work.
Finally, the SErvice Control Manager will change all of it and re-initiates the whole Update System.
3 Services and 3 Tasks are responsible for the Update process and are intertwined.

The Windows Update-Problem still exists.

And still no clue to prohibit the services to "spark" with other services.

It's for a customer machine, there must not be any disturbances through the Windows Update services cause that interrupts the service software (the cam uses full capacity) and when there is any failure, all (very expensive) samples in the racks are ruined, and that's not an option.

So I'm still searching for solutions. It's way crazier than herding cats.

The Windows Update-Problem still exists.

And still no clue to prohibit the services to "spark" with other services.

It's for a customer machine, there must not be any disturbances through the Windows Update services cause that interrupts the service software (the cam uses full capacity) and when there is any failure, all (very expensive) samples in the racks are ruined, and that's not an option.

So I'm still searching for solutions. It's way crazier than herding cats.

As I sense what you are aiming for, then this is your free solution, if you care to listen to Chris Titus Tech for 8 minutes before jumping the gun when you sense the word, "tool" entering into your thoughts...

The Best Windows Tool for 2022

"192,210 views May 14, 2022 This is a tool that has evolved over several years and achieves much more than just debloating a Windows install. I have expanded it to install the programs you select, which is a bigger selection than ninite. The classic debloat is there, but also includes a tweaks section with quality of life features. To round out everything, I have included my recommended settings for Windows update that I use in a variety of businesses. Misuse of this utility can break your install so please be careful and I do not provide any help or assistance should this happen!" - Chris Titus Tech

As a digression, I understand that you say you do not want a tool... but being stuck in that paradigm will not resolve what you seek, without something as lightweight as this new free tool developed by Chris, and constantly getting updated by him. Also, read all the comments at that YouTube link, as I suspect the feedback will assuage your concerns.

Kind regards and the best to you and yours...

Last edited:
As I sense what you are aiming for, then this is your free solution, if you care to listen to Chris Titus Tech for 8 minutes before jumping the gun when you sense the word, "tool" entering into your thoughts...

"192,210 views May 14, 2022 This is a tool that has evolved over several years and achieves much more than just debloating a Windows install. I have expanded it to install the programs you select, which is a bigger selection than ninite. The classic debloat is there, but also includes a tweaks section with quality of life features. To round out everything, I have included my recommended settings for Windows update that I use in a variety of businesses. Misuse of this utility can break your install so please be careful and I do not provide any help or assistance should this happen!" - Chris Titus Tech

As a digression, I understand that you say you do not want a tool... but being stuck in that paradigm will not resolve what you seek, without something as lightweight as this new free tool developed by Chris, and constantly getting updated by him. Also, read all the comments at that YouTube link, as I suspect the feedback will assuage your concerns.

well, as I explained alot of times - I can't use any tool for that.

but being stuck in that paradigm
as I explained more than once, it's not possible cause of the license problem.
there you should read what the term "paradigm" really means. :rolleyes:

and btw.... just to say "use this tool" and using the phrase "paradigm" just tells me, that you have no clue what you are babbling about. #dunningkruger

So leave me alone.

Last edited:
I'm constantly using this tools on my computer and didn't got any major issues. IFEO only adds a registry key that blocks exes...

IFEO Tool - Block Exe
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

Add the value example:
rundll32.exe

Add null example
Debugger
ntsd -d

Code:
netsh.exe advfirewall firewall add rule name="rundll32" dir=out action=block protocol=any program="rundll32.exe"

Code:

If you want to block effectively Windows Update i advice to install K9 Web Protector and block ms urls.
Well, the services behind the win update will come back to life through the Service Control Manager (EvID 7040)
you CAN'T stop that, there is NO way. The services come back to life.

I try now a more brute way, I will write about the final outcome.

sir this not working in win 10&win11 to stop the update error can you have stop update tool please update

Hi everyone,

I have a serious problem to solve.

I work in the health sector, embedded software for LTSC machines.

And I try to kill the Windows Update Service completely.

I already wrote a script which deactivates various scripts and tasks.

But still, the UsoSvc gets with some machines back to life.

And I really don't know what or who triggers that service to come back to life for the whole Update thingi.

is there anybody out there with an experience on that ominous Windows Update Service, cause Microsoft itself isn't really helpful and far away from being transparent.

sir please goto service option and search windows update select disable the windows updates after then click apply you system will run windows update error will not come

sir please goto service option and search windows update select disable the windows updates after then click apply you system will run windows update error will not come
That's not that easy.
The Windows Update Complex has various services, you can't stop per "just one click".

And you can't disable them totally, you can set their "startup type" on "disable", but at one point, the Service Control Manager set those services on "manual" again.
And you can't control the "Service Control Manager", that is not possible.

That's not that easy.
The Windows Update Complex has various services, you can't stop per "just one click".

And you can't disable them totally, you can set their "startup type" on "disable", but at one point, the Service Control Manager set those services on "manual" again.
And you can't control the "Service Control Manager", that is not possible.
ok can you formate the windows and reinstall it will be posibile
can you pleaes update which version you are using
in windows 10

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think the problem is you, because I have read and reread all of these posts twice and here is what I get out of you:

- Each individual machine is on no LAN or WAN and runs where it sits, disconnected from other any other machine interaction
- Each individual machine has different, unique services embedded in this Update machinery
- Each individual machine receives its own unique updates

You tell other members that they cannot suggest a tool because:
- You tell us that a tool is forbidden, but not why
- You tell us any tool needs to be licensed, but not by which entity

Then you tell us:
-I have to find a way to write the appropriate script. I'm not really amused, but this is the only thing to do.
- I create my own scripts.

A programming tool or software development tool is a computer program that software developers use to create, debug, maintain, or otherwise support other programs and applications.

So you will write scripts to fix the problem, but have not stated if you are qualified or licensed to do so, NOR have you explained why get to do this, and it is not forbidden for YOU to do so.

Every possible and sensible solution others offer, end up with you either revealing another "need to know" item that you did not state prior... or you double standard something you said before... that others cannot suggest tools, ... but you can write scripts that are not licensed and are not forbidden... of which "tools" are simply scripts and/or programs with a GUI or not.

You state that you work in the health-sector... embedded software for LTSC machines, better calling invitro-diagnostics... and this makes no sense, Do you men that you "embed" software for LTSC machines?

Summarizing so far, I maintain that the problem is with you, and here is why:

If I were your supervisor and discovered that a professional like you were seeking solutions to your problems in the public sector, by other, unlicensed individuals, to give you a "spark" in helping you do something that you aren't currently able to do... but which the rest of us seem confident we can do... using "Tools".... then I would seriously have to consider retaining you as a value-added employee.

This entire thread of yours is a convoluted rabbit hole of double standards and caveats, which you seem to be immune from (writing your own "Tool" a.k.a. Scripts/Programs without license and which is forbidden)

You have emphasized the extreme importance of the material in this lab, or whatever it is where you poke around trying to find solutions, and resort to amateurs on the Internet for fixes... like a doctor going to other patients to find a cure for another one of his patients, instead of consulting other experts in the relative field.

In closing, you implied that I suffer from The Dunning–Kruger effect: a cognitive bias whereby people with low ability, expertise, or experience regarding a certain type of a task or area of knowledge tend to overestimate their ability or knowledge. Some researchers also include in their definition the opposite effect for high performers: their tendency to underestimate their skills.

I counter to you #Peter-Principle

I wonder what you think about others trying to help, whom you have consistently rejected, and what your supervisor would do, to know you were looking for answers from unlicensed and forbidden resources... people who, if they persist... suddenly experience the Dunning–Kruger effect in your expert opinion.

I read through a few pages of your posts, and the "self-entitled" attitude shines, and I am certain that an Admin or two might view this and have to reach a conclusion on the matter... but the fact that you are a professional in a highly critical medical research field ... seeking solutions from a forum that is unqualified to advise you, and you are too proud to seek professional help fro IT experts with LTSC and LTSB 1st production Windows 10 OS's.

What would happen were one of our unprofessional and unlicensed suggestions to pass your approval, and you use it, and disaster strikes in the lab?

Professional "experts" like you make ME cringe... because there are people's lives out there who depend upon the research that may save their lives... and you say you are writing your own scripts and programs for... but can't seem to fix the problem, or ask those in the IT field who are licensed for the answers. This sort of violates the principles of the user policies of this forum, in my view.

*Cringe*

Last edited:

IFEO Tool - Block Exe
Code:

Add the value example:
rundll32.exe

Add null example
Debugger
ntsd -d

Code:

Code:

though I can't use tools... just to block urls (or entering false urls) won't stop the problem with the services.

you can't stop the services from coming back to life, thanks to the Service Control Manager.

I think the problem is you, because I have read and reread all of these posts twice and here is what I get out of you:

- Each individual machine is on no LAN or WAN and runs where it sits, disconnected from other any other machine interaction
- Each individual machine has different, unique services embedded in this Update machinery
- Each individual machine receives its own unique updates

You tell other members that they cannot suggest a tool because:
- You tell us that a tool is forbidden, but not why
- You tell us any tool needs to be licensed, but not by which entity

Then you tell us:
-I have to find a way to write the appropriate script. I'm not really amused, but this is the only thing to do.
- I create my own scripts.

A programming tool or software development tool is a computer program that software developers use to create, debug, maintain, or otherwise support other programs and applications.

So you will write scripts to fix the problem, but have not stated if you are qualified or licensed to do so, NOR have you explained why get to do this, and it is not forbidden for YOU to do so.

Every possible and sensible solution others offer, end up with you either revealing another "need to know" item that you did not state prior... or you double standard something you said before... that others cannot suggest tools, ... but you can write scripts that are not licensed and are not forbidden... of which "tools" are simply scripts and/or programs with a GUI or not.

You state that you work in the health-sector... embedded software for LTSC machines, better calling invitro-diagnostics... and this makes no sense, Do you men that you "embed" software for LTSC machines?

Summarizing so far, I maintain that the problem is with you, and here is why:

If I were your supervisor and discovered that a professional like you were seeking solutions to your problems in the public sector, by other, unlicensed individuals, to give you a "spark" in helping you do something that you aren't currently able to do... but which the rest of us seem confident we can do... using "Tools".... then I would seriously have to consider retaining you as a value-added employee.

This entire thread of yours is a convoluted rabbit hole of double standards and caveats, which you seem to be immune from (writing your own "Tool" a.k.a. Scripts/Programs without license and which is forbidden)

You have emphasized the extreme importance of the material in this lab, or whatever it is where you poke around trying to find solutions, and resort to amateurs on the Internet for fixes... like a doctor going to other patients to find a cure for another one of his patients, instead of consulting other experts in the relative field.

In closing, you implied that I suffer from The Dunning–Kruger effect: a cognitive bias whereby people with low ability, expertise, or experience regarding a certain type of a task or area of knowledge tend to overestimate their ability or knowledge. Some researchers also include in their definition the opposite effect for high performers: their tendency to underestimate their skills.

I counter to you #Peter-Principle

I wonder what you think about others trying to help, whom you have consistently rejected, and what your supervisor would do, to know you were looking for answers from unlicensed and forbidden resources... people who, if they persist... suddenly experience the Dunning–Kruger effect in your expert opinion.

I read through a few pages of your posts, and the "self-entitled" attitude shines, and I am certain that an Admin or two might view this and have to reach a conclusion on the matter... but the fact that you are a professional in a highly critical medical research field ... seeking solutions from a forum that is unqualified to advise you, and you are too proud to seek professional help fro IT experts with LTSC and LTSB 1st production Windows 10 OS's.

What would happen were one of our unprofessional and unlicensed suggestions to pass your approval, and you use it, and disaster strikes in the lab?

Professional "experts" like you make ME cringe... because there are people's lives out there who depend upon the research that may save their lives... and you say you are writing your own scripts and programs for... but can't seem to fix the problem, or ask those in the IT field who are licensed for the answers. This sort of violates the principles of the user policies of this forum, in my view.

*Cringe*
the only person who is really cringy, that's yourself.
leave me alone with your dunningkruger-style.
even ignoring does not help to get rid of you.
This sort of violates the principles of the user policies of this forum, in my view.
your insults even after I say "stop nagging" are a violation of the user policies.

so what do you not understand when I say LEAVE THE FRAKK ME ALONE with your bullshit?!

the only person who is really cringy, that's yourself.
leave me alone with your dunningkruger-style.
even ignoring does not help to get rid of you.

your insults even after I say "stop nagging" are a violation of the user policies.

so what do you not understand when I say LEAVE THE FRAKK ME ALONE with your bullshit?!

HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

Without reading every single reply to OP I'm gonna ask... why don't you reverse engineer (have a looksee' what's inside the "tool'/tool's" you are not allowed to use), rewrite your script with your newfound info, that's what I would do in that situation

Latest posts

Back