• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

all files shown as shortcuts on USB,what to do?

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

frozensun

Jun 17, 2019
On my USB memory stick from recently all files are shown as on picture below.
How do I rescue them and save the files,if possible?

Attachments

• virusi.jpg
    virusi.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 20
Yikes! That is a problem. I see you have labeled your upload virus. Is it expoit/ransonware? Why I ask is the how to approach this. I can tell you whatever you do clone that drive to another and work on the clone. If the data is still on the stick (don't rely on Windows to accurately tell you) and it hasn't been crazy encrypted which it doesn't appear so it's probably recoverable.
The most important thing is to clone the drive. Use an alternate O/S based program to do so. Not sure what has happened yet, I will look around. I love a good challenge but busy as all get out lately. My first take would be someone fooled with your registry to make wholesale changes to all your files that's the easy way but ransomware is never that easy.
Clone your drive and do all the work on the clone if that data is important to you. So much for backing stuff up to a USB flash stick, eh?

use usbshow bro is a good for you or use commands attrib

in prompt run as admin
and use the commands

attrib -s -h -r

-s show
-h hide
-r read and delete autorun is a virus

https://ldc.mx/usbshow.php <== this is a best program for clean and show usb files

I have noticed this on my USB stick for some files. They remain OK on the source drive and I just reload them and then they seem to be alright. Yet another reason to ditch the system I am using. It passes 3 different A/V checks (Webroot, Hitman, and Malwarebytes) so who knows the source?

Edit:
After some thought it must be something on the stick itself. Lord knows I put that thing in everything that comes along. Not sure why it's random but it's just plain pain in the butt ware. I have to do some USB stick housecleaning in the morning if I get a chance.

Last edited:
so what was the web address of the site that helped?

Back