• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Black screen after login

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Di-Hybrid

Feb 16, 2021
Hi guys.
I was busy typing an assignment on my computer last night when the electricity suddenly disappeared for a short while. after it came back I tried switching on my computer on but only a black screen appears when I logon to my user account. please help.

Oh oh. Well first try logging in in safe mode. You need to determine what the problem may be. If you can log in, I suggest saving every bit of data you can to a source other than your O/S HD. I take it you mean your local account BTW.
Then go to Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Reset and follow the instructions. There are more complicated methods but this one is pretty foolproof and gets you out of a bad situation quickly.

Version of Windows?

If its under Windows 10, you will enter in Safe mode by pressing F8 on keyboard when Windows loading.

After thinking about it sounds like you may have corrupted the video driver. I take it you can see the POST screen (or logo or whatever) on power up.
So I wish safe mode was as easy as pressing F8 on startup, but alas no more. Here's all the ways to get into safe mode with Win 10.
You are going to have to follow the "From a black or blank screen" procedure. Once in press the Windows key + X at the same time, choose Device Manager from the side panel that opens. Click on the > that's in front of Display Adaptors and uninstall what ever comes up. Try restarting your system from that point and it will reinstall the Display Adaptor hopefully correctly. See if that works for you. It's the first thing I would try.

Last edited:
Back