• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Camera doesn't open; after un-, and reinstall does, until next boot

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

Georgey

Jan 27, 2024
My camera wouldn't open, its screen pops up but no picture.

If I uninstall it, then search for hardware change in the device manager, it works fine.
Next boot though it starts again.

Clearly a Windows issue, as it started on my preceding laptop. All hardware and machine specific software are different now but the problem is the same.

sfc/scannow, Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth, Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Startcomponentcleanup, or troubleshoot don't help.

I run Windows 10 Education, 64 bit, version 10.0.19044.

Starting w/Win 10 cameras have been a problem. For my own curiousity what is the brand and model of the cam? It goes back to pre win 10 day and a couple of built in win apps (if you want to call them that). Give me that info and I will dust off my brain cells. I have been doing VFW since win 98 days. It's complicated but at least I can give you and accurate description. Not sure I can give you a solution tho.

For your own curiosity:
USB\VID_0C45&PID_6725&REV_0271&MI_00
USB\VID_0C45&PID_6725&MI_00

For my issue though, as stressed already, it is not related to the camera or anything about the hardware, e.g. BIOS. It started on my previous laptop. I don't have the details of that camera but it was also by Microsoft, and I bought that laptop over a decade ago.

I'm not absolutely sure, but the problem started with W 10. When I bought the preceding laptop, W 7 was installed. Then, I upgraded to 8 and 8.1 and, as I recall, the camera worked fine. After upgrade to W 10 it started, and the same is now on the new laptop.

Last edited:
If i were to play with the camera and try to fix i would use nirsoft.net

Here
Nice site Hacxx, thanks.
Gregory, there are a few programs on my computer that monitor, block camera access. I would probably go down that route. If you have maybe an A/V program and a script running on Chrome, they may be bumping heads and blocking the cam. The only reason I bring that up is it appears you have the proper drivers and you didn't mention the device manager reporting problems so we don't need to go down the cam problem for now thank goodness. Start disabling cam security you should see some activity in the task manager as a clue. Try using a different browser as well. Good luck.

Drivers are kept up-to-date by Dell own Support Assist, and so were by Samsung utility on my preceding laptop.

I can't 'play' with the camera when just opened, because it wouldn't start at all; I see as enclosed.
After un-, and re-install it works fine.

Browser is not involved, I run the camera apps only.

Attachments

• Cam.jpg
    Cam.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 4
Browser is not involved, I run the camera apps only.
Goes back to a program or A/V disabling the cam. The task manager is your friend.
So it's kind of evident a program is causing your problems if rebooting brings the cam back up., or does it? Now you are saying uninstall, reinstall fixes things.
Common sense would tell you that means it's a resident program messing the cam up. Can you think of any program that might interfere or try to use the cam?
I have gone down that rabbit hole before. Windows 7 used VFW drivers in a slightly different way that Win 10. It caused problems with programs looking for Win 7 VFW (Video for Windows).
So question. If you open device manager once the cam stops working is it showing any problems?
Here's what I see when I open the device manager on my Dell Latitude 7380 Win 11. Initially ksthunk.sys was a problem for some cams during the upgrade. If memory servers me well I think I had a problem with the cam when I first upgraded. I am probably running the Dell drivers if they are available.
Again, my money is on some program interfering with the cam. It's going to be trial and error and it's probably not a really popular program.
Cam Drivers.png

Cam Drivers2.png

Rebooting brings the issue back. Un-, and reinstall the camera brings the camera back.

I have no idea what program may block.

I have the file WdmCompanionFilter.sys but what should I do with it?

I have read instances when a few cam drivers mostly WdmCompanionFilter.sys can somehow become unusable. I should stress those screen shots are from a Win 11 pro. You might try replacing those drivers one by one. It's not an easy solution. The easiest one would be of course a fresh install and judiciously reinstalling only programs you use.

Thanks, but I have a highly personalized system, won't start from a blank Windows. Also, I only have widely used programs, so, as you said, even total re-instalment would not guarantee to solve the issue.

After all, it takes less than a minute to un-, and reinstall the camera and then I can use it.

Thanks again for your goodwill.

NP. I'll keep thinking about it. Logic would tell you it is an offending program that either corrupted a driver or is interfering with the VFW path. Never did determine brand/model of system in question.

Back